I GIVE UP!

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Goldy

I GIVE UP!

Post by Goldy »

Spent 4 hours with the following on my car in various combinations :

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Zymol Cleaner Wax
Turtle wax paint restorer
Carplan Triple Wax
and finally T-Cut
Hand applied and with rotary polisher

I've cut, polished and waxed the rear quarter to bu88ery and it still looks flat and faded.... any suggestions, should I just get the wet & dry out now? :-k I might just pour paint stripper on it ](*,)
ForMySin

Re: I GIVE UP!

Post by ForMySin »

G3?
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

what colour?, red?

looking at your garage i think it is...start off with the t cut on the rotary, just do a small area, dont let it go dry, medium speed

then take that off with the rag and apply some wax to your small area, dry, remove

if that does not make any difference then you may as well try the following on a small area

in this order

200 grit wet and dry (wet)
rotary rubbing compound
rotary polish
rotary/hand wax

i did a thread on it a while back
pnicho

Post by pnicho »

As above, just use G3 with a rotary polisher, make sure that you sprinkle the pad with water before hand and be careful not to burn through the paint or burn the paint.
RST

Post by RST »

I've done an old crapy BMW restor so far. We didn't machine polish it but what we did do was cut the paint back very slightly with 3M "Finess it" by hand then put a coat of coloured turtlewax on it with a 2" paint brush, then waxed it on top, then coated it with turtlewax coloured stuff again -with the brush, we did this about 6 ot 7 times over 2 days and it took a sorry assed pink BMW right back to bright red at the end of it. I never would have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. It wasn't perfect but the difference was unreal.

The car looked a scrapper before then looked damn decent afterwards. The owner took it over the "lecht" in the Cairngorms the following weekend and the clyinder head gasket blew and it was fooked (260k miles is enough to give I guess, regardless of the car). LoL.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

I'm thinking to go for something a bit harsher to start with such as Rubbing Compound or G3 and work up to TCut and then wax.

We'll see this weekend what happens... at least there's no danger of cutting through the paint as it's got at least two if not 3 coats of red under there :lol:
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Well I went for it on the wing and door this evening.

Exhibit A :
Bonet.... dull and a bit orangy

Exhibit B :

The wing after the following treatment :

Rubbing Compound - Applied with buffer
Triplewax (polish & wax) - Applied with buffer
Zymol wax - applied by hand

I think it looks a ton better... now if I can do a wing and a door in 1 hour how long will it take to do a whole car :-k :lol:
Raf

Post by Raf »

T.F.S. wrote:

rotary rubbing compound
rotary polish
rotary/hand wax

im sure you meant 2000 grit but for oxidised paint 2500 is fine too; heck even 3000. the higher the grade the easier it is to buff. in reality you shouldnt need to wet sand as that is really only to get rid of light scratches and orange peel.

G3/3m fast cut are excellent but too course for this type of work. you have a higher chance of leaving swirls and holograms (more work).

G10 is what i use for oxidisation; followed by a polish (Farecla final polish).....
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

nice results. i'll post some of my fun with g3 up at some point - its a difficult product to use but now i make an average of a btl of vodka a week fixing mates of mates cars etc lol

also wouldnt recommend any ameteurs playing about with rotary buffers - start with a da, build confidence and work up. a good cutting pad is also a must - chemical guys stuff is very cost effective.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Raf wrote:
T.F.S. wrote:

rotary rubbing compound
rotary polish
rotary/hand wax

im sure you meant 2000 grit but for oxidised paint 2500 is fine too; heck even 3000. the higher the grade the easier it is to buff. in reality you shouldnt need to wet sand as that is really only to get rid of light scratches and orange peel.

sorry yes i did mean 2000 grit
Raf

Post by Raf »

thing with DA's is that yes they are good but then when you use a rotary its just so much better. you are best learning on a rotary in my opinion.

now all top coats are different, some being scratch resistant and hence tough to cut and buff. some being softer and glossier. however you have to generally be an idiot to burn through (unless you have had the car painted and there is hardly any material on).

yes its easy to burn through on edges and style lines but these can be taped up and a DA can burn through them also. once you get the hang of it you can adjust speeds/pressure as you approach edges and style lines.

have you ever tried a scrap panel and tried burning through? it takes a while & a fair amount of pressure.

another tip would be to buy a lightweight buffer; proper paint correction is time consuming and a heavy buffer doesnt help.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Well the bit I did last week is starting to fade along the top edge again despite waxing, anyone got any suggestions to seal the paintwork to prevent oxidation, i'm not really rating the zymol wax?
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

sounds like you need to cut into it more TBH

i use 3M stuff...they make some awesome products

for a quick shine i would just use Tcut and then 3M rosa
Raf

Post by Raf »

the very top layer of paint is oxidised; you cannot wax and hope the finish stays. you need to get rid of the top layer so compounding (G3/3m Fast cut/Tcut etc) has to be done first; the finish after this step should be spot on. then you want to use a polish with some fillers in; then seal that with a wax.
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

Raf wrote:the very top layer of paint is oxidised; you cannot wax and hope the finish stays. you need to get rid of the top layer so compounding (G3/3m Fast cut/Tcut etc) has to be done first; the finish after this step should be spot on. then you want to use a polish with some fillers in; then seal that with a wax.

I did cut it first, then triplewax polish then zymol wax. The finish was looking spot on but it seems to have faded some what over the week.
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

Goldy wrote:
I did cut it first, then triplewax polish then zymol wax. The finish was looking spot on but it seems to have faded some what over the week.

you didnt cut enough mate
Goldy

Post by Goldy »

T.F.S. wrote:
Goldy wrote:

you didnt cut enough mate

Right back to the buffer I go then :lol:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”