suspension trouble

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

jack-p

suspension trouble

Post by jack-p »

i lowered my car myself and when doing up the top bolts my front passenger side one doesnt stop tightening whereas all the rest reach a point then dont tighten any more to stop you over tightening them. am i missing a washer or something? :oops:
hope this makes sense! :eye:
Raf

Re: suspension trouble

Post by Raf »

is it the centre bolt? there is a large washer/spacer that sits between the mount and the bolt.

take it off and see if its there? compare with the other side though.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

You have a cup which sits under the topmount.

The top of the damper is slotted so will locate into the slotted hole on the cup. Yours isn't sat in the slot. If you keep turning it, it may damage the cup so will never sit right again and knock.

Take off the whole leg, compress the spring then take the lot apart. You'll see it straight away. You may need a new cup.

Not a big job really.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Raf wrote:is it the centre bolt? there is a large washer/spacer that sits between the mount and the bolt.

take it off and see if its there? compare with the other side though.

I've taken it apart and there is no washer. thinking about it though i dont remember seeing a washer on any of the struts! :?

dazzz wrote:You have a cup which sits under the topmount.

The top of the damper is slotted so will locate into the slotted hole on the cup. Yours isn't sat in the slot. If you keep turning it, it may damage the cup so will never sit right again and knock.

Take off the whole leg, compress the spring then take the lot apart. You'll see it straight away. You may need a new cup.

Not a big job really.

thanks, i've just stripped it down again to see if thats the problem, it is a little chewed but also seems to grip so i will have to put it back together and see if that fixes the problem then :thumleft:
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

think you could have been spot on here dazzz, it loked to be rounded a little so i put a new one and and hopfully that'll have sorted it :thumleft: the bolts no longer tightening more than it should but i'm yet to actually taken it on a test run because i havent bled the brakes yet.
thanks for the help :)
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I had exactly the same issue.

I rebuilt the suspension and after a day, a funny knocking / spring like noise was starting to be heard. I needed a new cup.

Lewis Jay told diagnosed it for me.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”