Mk3 standard wheels/tyres question

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Polypedates

Mk3 standard wheels/tyres question

Post by Polypedates »

Hi

I've been driving a Panda 100HP for the last 3 years or so but now have a hankering for a convertible and preferably something RWD so considering a Mk32 MR2, Mk1 MX5 or maybe even a Fiat Barchetta for the looks.

Anyhow, re. the MR2, I have established I need to be looking at post 2003 and ideally post 2004 update cars. I understand these have 16" wheels. Will the 15" wheels from the earlier model fit these cars or were the brakes increased in size too?

Also will an MR2 on 15s take 185/50 R15 tyres? I'm guessing not as rears seem to be wider but I thought I'd ask as I have a set of winter tyres in that size so wondering whether to keep them or sell them on with the panda.

Thanks
Ekona

Re: Mk3 standard wheels/tyres question

Post by Ekona »

Wheels from all years will fit each other, I used to run the 15"s on my post-facelift as track wheels. Brakes are all the same.

You'd probably get the 185s on the fronts, but you must run a staggered setup on a mk3 so you'd need to buy a separate pair for the rear, negating any saving really. I'd probably just sell them on.
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

ekona wrote:

You'd probably get the 185s on the fronts, but you must run a staggered setup on a mk3 so you'd need to buy a separate pair for the rear, negating any saving really. I'd probably just sell them on.

No you don't.

I have no idea why people on the mk3 forums batter on about the staggerd setup. Especially as most have them have uprated suspension parts negating any standard features and havent even adjusted the geometry. ](*,)

The mk3 was sold with staggered setup becasue they wanted to make sure the car had an understeer tendancy. Running the same size front and rear will not have that much effect as long as you adjust the geometry and tyre pressure to optimise the set up.

I know of someone who has tested this back to back, so its science fact, not science fiction :wink:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

You're completely welcome to your opinion, but in my experience of the mk3, you're completely wrong. ;)

I'm not entirely sure how you could test the actual results back-to-back without relying hugely on an element of driver feel and experience, so I'd be interested to see the exact results and methodology of that testing. In my own experience running the same size tyres makes the car an oversteery mess, ruins all the delicate balance and kills the fun of the car, not to mention trying to throw you in a ditch at every opportunity.

The natural understeer that Toyota put in can be cancelled by tyre pressure adjustments (amongst other ways), not by changing the tyre sizes.
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

I think the topic has been discussed many, many times and to be honest, I'd personally prefer to stick as close to the original spec etc as possible.

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=119102
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

i will never run same size all round the car dont respond when the pressures or the fact the tyres are low effect the handerling. also others have run same all round and are now not owners as they have put them in a ditch. sell two of the tyres and buy another wider 2 tyres for the rear if you want to run different tyres for the winter. however the toyo's are fairly good in most conditions.

richard
Polypedates

Post by Polypedates »

Thanks for the replies peeps :thumleft:

If I go for the Mk3 I'll sell the winter tyres with the Panda (might be a useful USP) and then consider another set in the correct sizes and some 2nd hand 15" rims for the MR2.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”