Stuttering Boost with Exhaust Bung Out

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

malcster

Stuttering Boost with Exhaust Bung Out

Post by malcster »

I have a Rev 2 with a 5Zigen border exhaust, stock CT26 & a Greddy I/C with the boost set to 1 Bar.
When I run the exhaust with the bung in, the power delivery is smooth throughout the rev range.

However, if I remove the bung, and run the car through full boost up the rev range, it feels kind of stuttery.
Not to the point of it miss-firing etc, its just as if the boost is stuttering very slightly.

Any ideas?
1992 MR2 Turbo GT-S
1/4 Mile Best: 14.30s
Steve-O 2007

Re: Stuttering Boost with Exhaust Bung Out

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

what boost is it hitting now with the bung out?

you might have to turn your gain / duty right down as you have now changed the exhaust flow in a big way making it less restrictive.

either that or check your ignition components, dizzy cap, rotor arm, plugs, leads etc.
JDM-MAT

Re: Stuttering Boost with Exhaust Bung Out

Post by JDM-MAT »

do you have a strait through exhaust? no cat? could be over spooling this may explain why its okay with the bung in. the bug creates a bit of back pressure on the turbo which stops it over spooling. on my supra i had to fit a restrictive ring in my exhaust to create back pressure so my turbo's would not over spool.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”