MK3 track car?

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aaron dean

MK3 track car?

Post by aaron dean »

Well ive recently been breaking my rev2 tubby track car due to reliablitity issues and generally just wanting a change, ive been looking for something that is a good all rounder really, whereas the turbo was purely a track car im wanting something as a daily that can stiff be great fun and will keep me on my toes on the odd track day. Initially i was going to go down the honda integra dc2 type r route but im having second thoughts, I seem strangly drawn to the mk3 mr2 as i can imagine its a great handling little gem! Anyway cutting a long story short, does anybody use a mk3 on track days and whats it like compared with a mk2 turbo? (obviously slower in a sraight line) but is the engine fairly revvy? ideally id love the 2zz in a mk3 but we cant always have everything we want can we? :roll:
cartledge_uk

Re: MK3 track car?

Post by cartledge_uk »

There is a mk3 v6 in the for sale section :thumleft:

Patrick runs a few and Toni has one. I think once a scuttle plate is aded they are quite capable.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Whiteline ARBs and a rollcage and more than capable. :thumleft:
Go for a test drive, you won't be disappointed!
aaron dean

Post by aaron dean »

thanks for the replies guys, ive been looking and they seem reasonably priced, i think ill go for one that already has a hard top though as i dont fancy track days with a rag top! what sort of straight line performance should i expect compared with say a mk2 NA, i used to own a rev2 NA and although slow compared with the tubby it was plenty quick enough to enjoy on track.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I'd say just a bit down on speed compared to the 170bhp version of the NA, but you'll be able to take corners a lot quicker, brake later, and generally enjoy a more neutral car more. :thumleft:
MarkR32

Post by MarkR32 »

dare i say it .. have you considered a MK1 Mx5 ??? you can pickup a light wieght model (manual window etc) relitively cheap now and bolt a supercharger on .. be done alot and makes an already capable car even better ...
aaron dean

Post by aaron dean »

MarkR32 wrote:dare i say it .. have you considered a MK1 Mx5 ??? you can pickup a light wieght model (manual window etc) relitively cheap now and bolt a supercharger on .. be done alot and makes an already capable car even better ...

its funny you should say that because yes i have, but im a bit of a die hard toyota lover so im finding it hard to leave the mr2 scene, ive spoken to woodsport today about the camry v6 engine in a mk3, i think this could be the way to go, it seems to fit everything that i need from a car. if only the misses didnt have to drive it id probably go for the 2gr 3.5 v6 as it sounds like an animal but i think her lack of talent would soon see it off the road and into a hedge :roll:
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just cos a car can go fast doesn't mean it has to or ...
Just leave her off the insurance. They're crap daily drivers due to the space restrictions anyway.

R
aaron dean

Post by aaron dean »

Well guys I'm afraid to say i drove a mk1 mx5 and loved it so I've bought one lol, ill still keep popping on here thou and who knows i may own an mr2 again in the future
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Burn the witch! :mrgreen:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

aaron dean wrote:Well guys I'm afraid to say i drove a mk1 mx5 and loved it so I've bought one lol, ill still keep popping on here thou and who knows i may own an mr2 again in the future

Have to admit, MK1 MX5's are just absolutely brilliant fun to drive. My friend had one until recently. I never saw what the fuss was about until I had a go in it. She never really looked after it and just asked me to have a go to see if I thought there was a problem with the suspension setup. Anyway, I drove it and told her not change a thing was brilliant. Has to be an import with a slippy diff though.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”