MOT : High CO readings at fast idle after rebuild ...

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

BenF
Premium Member

MOT : High CO readings at fast idle after rebuild ...

Post by BenF »

A friend has just rebuilt his 1ZZ with a brand new new short block from Mr.T, and a whole host of new bits and pieces ( Timing chain, spark plugs, o2 sensors, Clutch etc etc ).

The exhaust manifold / Precats have been replaced with a Toyosport Decat manifold, and the car has just the main cat present. The old precats showed damage a the tops, specially for the precat fed from cylinders 1 and 4 - those also were the worst damaged.

Following the rebuild, it has basically gone straight in for a MOT and although it passes the Idle emissions test, at fast idle ( ~1500rpm ) the CO readings spike to ~ 0.5.

The same Cat on another roadster recently passed a MOT so the CAT is OK.

OBD2 diagnostics at idle after the rebuild show the O2 sensors in the exhaust manifold are working OK and the output from the main cat is as you'd expect.

Any ideas what could be done to narrow down the problem. Ideas so far as to possible causes :

1. The ECU is still 'learning' as engine is effectively being run in so low ( below 4k ) revs and low to moderate load, and has only been driven abut 20 miles since the rebuild? However car does idle at ~800rpm indicating that the learning process has ended ...?

2. Coolant temp sensor : However Reporting coolant correctly

3. Maybe the car isn't running closed loop on fast idle, as it does at normal idle?

4. Possible problem with injectors? On rebuild, cylinders 1 and 4 were worst and showed evidence of running lean as exhaust values were blue.

5. Possible marginal coil pack? However does run and idle smoothly without any lumpiness

6. Dirt on the MAF causing incorrect readings?

Other ideas and suggestions as to how to diagnose are welcome ... !

Ben
Ekona

Re: MOT : High CO readings at fast idle after rebuild ...

Post by Ekona »

How warm was the car before the test was done? It's not unheard of for de-precatted cars to fail an MOT if the test is done while the car is relatively cold, and usually a good 15min thrash to heat everything up solves that. Certainly wouldn't hurt to give the MAF a blast with some carb cleaner and another ECU reset too.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

+1 for the cat not being warm enough.

Most cars I see that have issues with emmissions are due to the cat not being hot enough.

Just becaue the the temp gauge shows warm it doesnt mean the cat is fully warmed up, did they use a oil temp sensor on the emissions test, along with a tacho for revs or was it by-passed and revved by foot/hand or tool.

Oh and fast idle should be done at 2500-3000rpm not 1500rpm so that probs didnt help either.

Take it for a thrash then get them to do it straight away at 2500-3000.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cheers Guys. Only slight issue is that having rebuilt the engine, he's reluctant to load up the engine given it is effectively being 'run in'. After the rebuild, it is one of the quietest 1zz's I've heard in terms of engine noise at idle.

However, going for an 'Italian tune up' may be the only way to get it through its MOT then we'll have to look at that. I did offer to 'help' run it in but no dice ;-)

He's thinking that he'll get the injectors flow and spray pattern checked as cylinders 1 and 4 look to have been possibly running lean, but that was probably the least of their problems after the precats were failing. He's also going to clean the MAF sensor.

The CO reading apparently is OK at idle, and as you increase the revs past 1500 rpms the reading does rise sharply - the tester said it was almost like running on Choke it was so rich.

I'm not sure if trying another test station, perhaps more used to testing cars with sports cats which can be more marginal may be a better way forwards?
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

all testers will test to the same levels as its all computer done nowadays.

question if the precats failed is the main cat been replaced?
main cat no doubt bloked up a bit if not changed and should of been changed.
also without pre cats it will pass but it does have to be nice and warm.

richard

edit should of read the first post ](*,)

i doubt injectors are whats up. o2 sensors could do it but if no eml wont be the issue. the only thing i will say is 20 miles is not enough for the run in. also i doubt the ecu has properly fully set in that time. try getting it warm and go for the retest.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Cheers. I also suspect that it would need more than 20 miles for the ECU to have completed its learning cycle.

Looks like the next retest needs to be booked ~ 60 miles away so the trip can be done via backroads to give the ECU chance to complete the self learning process for the different engine loads and revs.
rbuckingham

Post by rbuckingham »

BenF wrote:Cheers. I also suspect that it would need more than 20 miles for the ECU to have completed its learning cycle.

Looks like the next retest needs to be booked ~ 60 miles away so the trip can be done via backroads to give the ECU chance to complete the self learning process for the different engine loads and revs.

the more the better they do constantly adjust themselfs

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”