Rolling Road and Coilovers-now with graph.

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

samu23

Rolling Road and Coilovers-now with graph.

Post by samu23 »

Took my car to AFR tuning in Horsham tonight for the HSD coilovers to be set up and for a dyno run tomorrow. Quite nervous as ive never had any of my cars dyno'd before and dont want anything to go bang!

I will update this thread with the printout tomorrow. Its a rev 1 with an HKS mushroom filter, Mongoose exhaust, Forge actuator pushing about 14 psi and an XS power intercooler. Also just given it a full service including new air filter, plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor, oil and oil filter.

Hoping for around 240 bhp is that realistic? The engine seems to be in very good condition based on the old spark plugs that came out and a compression test.

Sam
Last edited by samu23 on Sat May 21, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Horrocks

Re: Rolling Road and Coilovers-now with graph.

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Dont worry about it going bang. If you can floor it on't road, it'll be reet on't rollers.

Power wise, I dont see why 240 is out of the question. Good luck pal!
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
vtecpower

Re: Rolling Road and Coilovers

Post by vtecpower »

samu23 wrote:Took my car to AFR tuning in Horsham tonight for the HSD coilovers to be set up and for a dyno run tomorrow. Quite nervous as ive never had any of my cars dyno'd before and dont want anything to go bang!

I will update this thread with the printout tomorrow. Its a rev 1 with an HKS mushroom filter, Mongoose exhaust, Forge actuator pushing about 14 psi and an XS power intercooler. Also just given it a full service including new air filter, plugs, leads, dizzy, rotor, oil and oil filter.

Hoping for around 240 bhp is that realistic? The engine seems to be in very good condition based on the old spark plugs that came out and a compression test.

Sam

my rev2 tubby made around 240 bhp with a racing clutch HKS Induction Kit, Oil breather, Decat, RSR Exhuast running 11.5 psi so i shouldnt see why you wouldnt make it with 14 psi and a intercooler :thumleft:
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Mine did 242 at with exhaust airfilter and .8 bar (11.6 psi)with an mbc,still have decat and standerd IC.

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
RST

Post by RST »

Whats theory with the coilovers?

...Lots of rolling roads give you yada yada stories bout if the engine goes pop then it's not their fault. Truth is an DECENT rolling road should check the car out first and a dyno session should be no worse than driving your car down a slip road joining a motorway.

If they let you anywhere near it on the rollers though (they shouldn't really) -the noise is terrible! They never sound as good on the rollers as they do on the road somehow.

Good luck with the dyno session -chock the dyno out first, aim low then anything is a bonus!
samu23

Post by samu23 »

Right so ended up going to watch it today, and im slightly disapointed with 215fwhp was hoping for a bit more than that, but i think it was hitting fuel cut (it only has a cheap ebay FCD fitted). I know the CT26 arnt great past 5500rpm but the drop off really suprised me. Looking at upgrading to a ct20b.

They let me quite close to the car and yes it didnt sound very nice, they had a 5.7 mustang enginged cobra kit car on there which sounded very nice!

On the note of the coilovers, they feel alot better now they have all been adjusted and aligned, to anyone buying coilovers id recommend getting them set up professionally. But it cost me quite alot of money, I will upload the dyno print out soon.

Sam
samu23

Post by samu23 »

Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Im no expert or anything with these sort of graphs etc but does that mean at 7000rpm you only have 90hp? the power just seems to drop right off or is that a normal looking graph for a ct26 turbo powered car??
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Im no expert or anything with these sort of graphs etc but does that mean at 7000rpm you only have 90hp? the power just seems to drop right off or is that a normal looking graph for a ct26 turbo powered car??

look more closely
that line is the torque line your describing.
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

Just for your ref before my MR2 became what it is now, it was a standard Rev2 block, 1.1bar boost, HKS intake, single exit and blitz ECU took it to 275bhp

I know what im saying doesnt support what your readout was but id say thats a pretty poor reading if anything, arent they 225 standard? Fuelcut could be an issue here?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

CardHore wrote:Just for your ref before my MR2 became what it is now, it was a standard Rev2 block, 1.1bar boost, HKS intake, single exit and blitz ECU took it to 275bhp

bare in mind i knew your car before you owned it, 275hp was a VERY generous figure on the dyno that day (i was there)

it made like 210atw, with is really around 250bhp, not 275.....

until we see a boost graph of the guys dyno, maybe hard to tell how decent the power was. many rev1/2s make that sort of hp at 10-12psi levels.
really need to check igntion timing and if the afm settings are correct (along with a decent service to)
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

lol I had a feeling you'd input on my comment. Fair enough, was still sickingly quick though... even quicker now. Nice to know you were there, the history folder grows :D
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

CardHore wrote:lol I had a feeling you'd input on my comment. Fair enough, was still sickingly quick though... even quicker now. Nice to know you were there, the history folder grows :D

lol :mrgreen:

mine made 200atw that day at 13psi (0.9bar), said it was 262 fly, but in reality was really around the 240hp area.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

jimGTS wrote:
Steve-O 2007 wrote:Im no expert or anything with these sort of graphs etc but does that mean at 7000rpm you only have 90hp? the power just seems to drop right off or is that a normal looking graph for a ct26 turbo powered car??

look more closely
that line is the torque line your describing.

oh yea lol, it was late and I had been drinking Jack Daniels out of the bottle :thumleft:

but you do have to remember it is a Rev1 which is around 21 years old now

do you have a decat fitted?
samu23

Post by samu23 »

Yeah it has the standard gutted cat, I dont think I was actually running 14 psi, I think my cheap autogauge boost gauge is out a bit, dont think its been working properly for a while. Gonna get an AVCR or something get it set up properly with the forge actuator and then see what it makes with the boost increased.

Do the cheap ebay FCD's actually work?
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

Do you have the graph that showed what boost you was running,when mine first went to surrey rolling road it was found to only be running at .5 bar due to a weak actuator,although it did make 205bhp at the fly.

The rolling road would show the true boost.

Mine has spiked at 1.1 bar before the toyota fcd kicked in and maybe I'm wrong but have have not been near that boost have you?.

If it has a cheap fcd remove it and get the toyota one working.

just to double check,do you have any form of boost controller fitted or is it just the forge actuator and those mods?

Or am I barking up the wrong tree #-o

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”