[Mk2] [Turbo] boost pressure - rev 2 with ct20b turbo??

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTSAARON

[Mk2] [Turbo] boost pressure - rev 2 with ct20b turbo??

Post by GTSAARON »

Hi Folks!

Just a quickie, fitting a boost controller to a rev 2 turbo with a ct20b turbo from a rev 3. Car has intercooler, decatted, induction kit. Just wondering what boost pressure is the best to run and what bhp should be expected.

I have searched but can't find any specifically with this set up i.e rev 2 engine with ct20b turbo :-)

Cheers in advance!!!

Aaron
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] boost pressure - rev 2 with ct20b turbo??

Post by Ryan S »

i imagine it'd be 14psi, same as with a ct26, only difference is that the ct20 will hold the boost all the way to the redline :thumleft: a guess at bhp with those mods running 14psi would be about 270??? assuming the engine/ignition is healthy :thumleft:
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Depends if you have changed the head gasket from cork to metal. if you havent i think no more than 14 psi. if you have, my understanding is that because the CT20b is more efficient than the CT26 above 14psi you can go up to about 16 psi, as you will actually be getting more usable pressure not just hotter air. Anything above 16 psi and the injectors which are already maxed out simply cant maintain a safe A/F ratio.
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

dantheman wrote:Depends if you have changed the head gasket from cork to metal. if you havent i think no more than 14 psi. if you have, my understanding is that because the CT20b is more efficient than the CT26 above 14psi you can go up to about 16 psi, as you will actually be getting more usable pressure not just hotter air. Anything above 16 psi and the injectors which are already maxed out simply cant maintain a safe A/F ratio.

Rev 3's have stainless HG as standard :thumleft:
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

nikaiyo wrote:
dantheman wrote:Depends if you have changed the head gasket from cork to metal. if you havent i think no more than 14 psi. if you have, my understanding is that because the CT20b is more efficient than the CT26 above 14psi you can go up to about 16 psi, as you will actually be getting more usable pressure not just hotter air. Anything above 16 psi and the injectors which are already maxed out simply cant maintain a safe A/F ratio.

Rev 3's have stainless HG as standard :thumleft:

but he has a rev2.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

nikaiyo wrote:Rev 3's have stainless HG as standard :thumleft:

Im glad you agree...
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

1 bar! 1.2 ocationaly any more and u will need a new engine!!!

be sure u have a metal head gasket, compression check and oil pressure check before as if your engine is week u will make it worse! be sure u have good oil (fully 5w 40) and u will also need a fule cut defender or as soon as u go over stock boost it sol cut!

have fun, the difference at 1 bar is imence. I am getting 300bhp with CT20b but I have many other mods :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

swaggansway wrote: I am getting 300bhp with CT20b but I have many other mods :thumleft:

and broken ringlands. on forgies!!
swaggansway

Post by swaggansway »

because of ignition timing due to broken dizzy, am looking for 400+ by weekend :) then time for my new tubby yay
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

The popular opinion is to go no more than 1 bar on standard fuelling, the head gasket issue is a can of worms...most seem to pop but some don't...if it does it's no biggy just a bit expensive if you can't do it yourself, always helpful guys on here who don't mind giving advice and help if your near.
If you've not changed it...then your rev2 igniter will limit the revs to 6.2k...don't make the mistake of setting high boost levels in this rev range and them sticking a rev3 igniter on it and revving up to 8k.
Best way of looking at it is...you've got stage 1 done, now look at doing the rev 3 conversion ( my mate is selling everything you need to do it at a good price :thumleft: )...set the boost at.9 bar now, it'll be a much nicer car to drive and you will be driving it...not fixing it.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

anything over 16psi is a very bad idea as there aren't fueling maps. rev3 has maps up to 18psi.

I've seen melted forgies from a ct20b at 18psi on rev2 management.

Return to “Modifications”