key programming

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

peteopc

key programming

Post by peteopc »

I have just bought a facelift mk3 but it only has one key. What is the cost of a key and programming? is there any other way it can be done?
frogger

Re: key programming

Post by frogger »

Question is UK model or Import?

UK Model
Immobiliser in the key runs the show.
Suggest getting a key blank, second hand key, and reprogramming electronics as per spyderchat. Total cost = £4 key blank + cutting + cost of 2nd hand key.

Import
There's no immobiliser in the key. Aftermarket alarm fob runs the show and the key is just for sticking in the ignition and turning.
In fact with an import keeping the electronics in the key just tends to cause hassel, as using them can get the locks out of sync with the alarm.
So for an import - just suggest getting a bog standard key blank, no electronics involved. (Total cost £4 key blank + cutting)

Though with in import if you want an additional alarm fob, obviously that adds to the cost
peteopc

Post by peteopc »

Thanks for your reply. Is ebay the baest place then? I didnt think that a key could be re-programmed after it had been done to another car?
frogger

Post by frogger »

peteopc wrote:Thanks for your reply. Is ebay the baest place then? I didnt think that a key could be re-programmed after it had been done to another car?

Yeap, ebay is the way forward. The internals from a second hand key can be reprogrammed via the slightly long winded, but simple enough, relearn procedure. Been done a few times on mr2roc... not personally admittedly, I have an import :)

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”