[Mk2] [Turbo] Possible power draining?

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dellams

[Mk2] [Turbo] Possible power draining?

Post by dellams »

This may be related to this problem:
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 03#1297503

But now it seems either the battery is faulty or possibly the alternator since I noticed the other day the headlights started dimming a bit then were fine.

But yesterday the fob didnt disarm the car so had to open it manually then alarm went off and used stick thing to disarm it. Also noticed clock had lost the time.

Then when driving home the stereo didnt come on and winder wipes were very slow and so were electric windows as if it had very little power left, I was lucky to make it home really!

Had the same problem in the past on previous 2's when my alternator had gone.

Was wondering if it could be the dodgey earth draining power from the bat somehow?

The strange thing is the previous problem with the indicator not working and indicator lighting up when braking wasn't occurring when driving home!

Or could it be some other electrical problem? Some loose connection or dodgey wiring somewhere?
Rev3 TURBO TBAR running aprox 280bhp @ 1bar (320bhp after re-map soon...)
dellams

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Possible power draining?

Post by dellams »

Went out to car earlier and it disarmed and unlocked fine and had power, then after a while for some reason it lost all power. Then it came back and then was gone again! And stayed gone.

Just went out again and took out a battery pack to jump it, was fine, then turned ignition so dash lights come on then it cut out again (same as earlier). And then stayed completely dead.

So its either a loose earth and is shorting it out or maybe a fuse? But then it wouldnt keep cutting in and out if it was a fuse?

Maybe reset the ECU? Which pins need shorting with a paperclip again to reset it?

Where are all the fuse boxes again? I checked the ones in the engine bay, they were fine. Im sure there was one near the fog light switch on the drivers side but couldn't see them this time...
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Remove negative terminal for 10mins+ to reset ECU I think. Alternator ok?

Lee
dellams

Post by dellams »

Dont think its alternator. Seems more like a bad earth or short thats draining power. :(

Theres a quicker way to reset ecu with a paperclip and the diagnostic port, just cant remember which pins it was. Think it was T1 and EC1 or something like that?
dellams

Post by dellams »

In the end it was a loose connection on the bat terminal! Finally managed to get to it after removing the strut bar so I could get the spare wheel out!

Was causing all of the problems including the indicator, brake light, etc.

Return to “Electrical”