[All] [Generic] Carputer Guru Anywhere?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Re: [All] [Generic] Carputer Guru Anywhere?

Post by Ryan S »

turboqueen3 wrote:,,, O:)

reported.
wickermonkey

Post by wickermonkey »

been looking into these for a while and the only thing thats a bit of a letdown at the moment for me is the software. If you use normal pc software then using it while driving (sat nav, itunes ect..) will be difficult. There are some specific programs (maybe even linux based) that you can run that have nice big buttons for touchscreens but then you loose functionality depending on what you have gone for.

The best way i thought could be to have 2 screens, 1 for the stereo, satnav and reversing camera's maybe, and then another to run data logging, tuning software, main music software.

They are good and ive been trying to get one/make one for a while but never got to the right spec i wanted for one. I think with what hardware is out there now, decent spec atom laptops and atom based pc's which with a big heatsink wouldnt need cooling, and with a double din space to work with i think that it could be done for a good price. Just need to find the software from somewhere
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

Have you looked at Centrafuse? I used it on on my carpc and its a excellent car computer software includes everything!!!!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
Amebb

Post by Amebb »

Hi there

I am using an old laptop (about 18 months old) running Ubuntu and XP Pro (sp2) on it.

The hard drive is 500gb. The laptop is used for two things mainly.

a) Music - mp3, mp4 or Video use
b) Running Car diagnostic software
c) Car security - Captures front, back inside car video images and also uses GPS software using SIM card, PAYG to monitor the cars location and track it.

The power supply is 240v from an inverter to the Laptop.

The laptop can switch off or go in to stand by mode if i need it to do so.

Most people are over cautious about HDD technology in their cars, as they think bumps and thumps can cause major damage to their HDD. Well, yes and no... Most of the hard drives today can with stand shocks and bumps.
Dont get me wrong, you go over a road hump at 90mph then i am sure that could cause damage to your HDD, then again i think it could mess up your Car anyways.

My head unit is a double din unbranded unit that has a large screen for video play back from the laptop.

There are two connections that i am using that give me control of my music from the laptop.
The first is ..

a) 3.5mm --> 2 phono (male) plugs that go in to the back of the head unit.
b) Video output from laptop that goes in to the back of the head unit.

Now this is where it can get complicated.

How do you have access to all the music and videos from your laptop...?

In this case i have a remote control sensor attached to the Laptop and a remote control handset that i can use to change the music etc.

You can get hardware that you connect to the laptop that will give you visual support on your head unit to go through the music menu etc.

Previously, using the correct hardware, i could access the full windows screen and go anywhere i wanted to within windows xp.
The problem with that was that my head unit screen is fairly small and it takes time to focus in what you are doing or what you want to do.

NOT very practical when your on the motorway doing 70mph !

Thats why, for me the remote control option is better.

If anyone wants to know more, just ask.

Cheers
'Honest, seriously, this wont hurt a bit ..... there you go........ 5h1t!!! he's dead!!........ Well, you should'nt have touched my Mr2 !!'
Rubber Chicken

Post by Rubber Chicken »

My system os running a SSD with Windows 8 on a modifiedlilliput touch screen. Switches on and off with my car with an M2-ATX power supply hooked up to the ignition, runs off Centrafuse. That's all on thr SSD then I have a HDD to store media files. Also the net now tethers from my phone so I have internet on the go.

Return to “ICE and Security”