MR2 Rev2 Tubby VS 2003 M3 Convertible

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

vtecpower

Re: MR2 Rev2 Tubby VS 2003 M3 Convertible

Post by vtecpower »

wow this has turned into big debate lol..

i would rather have the M3 im not stupid its a lovely car ..

BUT sadly i can not afford one..

i do love MR2 Turbos because they are bang on for bucks, they are fast, stylish and have many many parts for tem out there ...

im just enjoying the MR2 tubby for now :thumleft:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

The thing is, even if money was no object, I'd still have a Mk1 Mr2. I doubt I'd have an M3 or any other BMW if money was no object (well maybe an e30 M3) because they are ten a penny and do nothing for me.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

speaking of m3's

I once changed the clutch in an e36 m3 Evo, and had use of the car for a week before the customer picked it up. I've never ever been so disapointed/let down with a car...
Last edited by Dale_V on Sat May 14, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:The thing is, even if money was no object, I'd still have a Mk1 Mr2. I doubt I'd have an M3 or any other BMW if money was no object (well maybe an e30 M3) because they are ten a penny and do nothing for me.

i would never have a BMW, like you say, they are ten a penny,every day i see about 100 of the things, i totally agree as well, if money were no object i'd still have my tubby, i spent 13k on my rx8 then another 4k converting it to a turbo, still prefer the mr2, :thumleft:

wouldn't mind a noble m12, but again, purely because of the layout, there's not a lot of mid engined cars knocking about, and especially not for the prices you pick mr2s up for :thumleft:
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

vtecpower wrote:wow this has turned into big debate lol..

i do love MR2 Turbos because they are bang on for bucks, they are fast, stylish and have many many parts for tem out there ...

It's recurring debate - happens every 1 to 2 years or so.

I'm not going to slate Matt_BMW ( :eye: ) as generally he seems like a good bloke from his other posts. But yeah he does have a long history of slating MR2s on this forum for being old, poor handling and unable to keep up with a newer car on the bends etc. along with like about 3 other people that used to do it quite regularly. Sort of why the driving experience section became quiet as you aren't allowed to post something nice about the MR2 in here :lol:

PS: above comment is obviously meant to be tongue in cheek - but if you want to know what I'm talking about just search for old threads containing words such as:-

Porsche, handling, integra, type r, BMW, Boxster etc. and you'll see what I mean :razz:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Dale_V wrote:speaking of m3's

I once changed the clutch in an e46 m3 Evo, and had use of the car for a week before the customer picked it up. I've never ever been so disapointed/let down with a car...

Didn't think they made an E46 M3 Evo, did you mean an E36 M3 Evo or a E46 M3 CS/L?

Mate of mine's got an early E46 M3 SMG, and after 10 mins driving the hell out of it it was the car that convinced me that I'd be very happy with a paddle shift car, hence my PDK 911 over a manual. The M3 is such a rapid car that covers ground quicker than you would realistically expect, however it makes 100mph feel like 50mph. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you want from the car I guess.
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

ekona wrote:

I once changed the clutch in an e46 m3 Evo, and had use of the car for a week before the customer picked it up. I've never ever been so disapointed/let down with a car...

Didn't think they made an E46 M3 Evo, did you mean an E36 M3 Evo or a E46 M3 CS/L?

Mate of mine's got an early E46 M3 SMG, and after 10 mins driving the hell out of it it was the car that convinced me that I'd be very happy with a paddle shift car, hence my PDK 911 over a manual. The M3 is such a rapid car that covers ground quicker than you would realistically expect, however it makes 100mph feel like 50mph. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing depends on what you want from the car I guess.

sorry yes e36 doh!
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

sheppy wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:I dont forget, I just dont get people who are blinkered and bias.

I've never believed any car I have owned is the best thing since sliced bread and I never would because there is no such thing as the best car ever.

didn't realise anyone was blinkered or biased, but, it is still a site for mr2 enthusiasts, so even if there are people who are blinkered or biased, this is probably the place to find them, so slating mr2's on the mr2 owners club is just daft. as my point about going on the mg owners club is. i don't think the mr2 is the best, but it's still my favourite car.

Well said. :thumleft:
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Dale_V wrote:
ekona wrote:

sorry yes e36 doh!

Gotta say i was pretty dissapointed with the E36 also. I drove one when i was selling my first Mr2 turbo........ needless to say i didnt buy it. I also drove the convertible which was pretty horrible in general!! the scuttle shake was unbelievable! i was even more dissapointed......

Not the case with the E46, also i much preferred the 330ci i had over the e36 M3. Far more refined and better put together i thought.

But each to their own.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

matt_mr2t wrote:Hi.

My Tubby used to eat M3's for breakfast.

This is all I have to say.

Bye.

I've not been on here for ages. Is he STILL living/waffling on a forum for cars that he hates? :!: Issues..?
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Hi
craig

Post by craig »

mr2nut123 wrote:
I've not been on here for ages. Is he STILL waffling on a forum

Yup :lol:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

RedMR² wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Says the man who now also owns a BMW :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

matt_mr2t wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
mr2nut123 wrote:

Says the man who now also owns a BMW :lol:

What's that got to with anything LOL.
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Wait wait!!!

I HATE MR2's too!! Me too!!!

Im soooo much better than guys with your Jap cars. Pah! Peasants!
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

It only irks people when I say it.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Ollie@SkyInsurance wrote:The thing is, even if money was no object, I'd still have a Mk1 Mr2. I doubt I'd have an M3 or any other BMW if money was no object (well maybe an e30 M3) because they are ten a penny and do nothing for me.

Have to agree completely. Prestige performance does nothing for me. Over pay for an interior that would suit your grandad and have back heat/massage :-k :?: then get your ass handed to you by JDMs. It would p1$$ me off behond belief.

By the same token, I'm not blind and would clearly take something like a Noble M12 or Atom over my tubby. But for now, it's in a different league compared to not just the £5k bracket, but also in my opinion, the £10-15k bracket also.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

Kongaroo wrote:
vtecpower wrote:wow this has turned into big debate lol..

It's recurring debate - happens every 1 to 2 years or so.

I'm not going to slate Matt_BMW ( :eye: ) as generally he seems like a good bloke from his other posts. But yeah he does have a long history of slating MR2s on this forum for being old, poor handling and unable to keep up with a newer car on the bends etc. along with like about 3 other people that used to do it quite regularly. Sort of why the driving experience section became quiet as you aren't allowed to post something nice about the MR2 in here :lol:

PS: above comment is obviously meant to be tongue in cheek - but if you want to know what I'm talking about just search for old threads containing words such as:-

Porsche, handling, integra, type r, BMW, Boxster etc. and you'll see what I mean :razz:

The funny thing is Kong, if he could drive, he'd realise that you can quite easily keep with, if not leave most of the cars that are mentioned even with standard suspension but with a good set of P-zeros of similar tyre. Most of the handling 'issues' come from inexperience and small/standard tyres.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I love the internet, where people talk about people as if they know them.

I also love how people read things how they want to and not how it's being said.

Basically, if I said the MR2 was the bestest car in the whole wide world but it's not the one for me, most of you gay fanboi's would read it that I said MR2's are xxxx and that I'm the devil.

Well, read it however you like, I dont know you and I dont care about hurting your feelings. Now go back to your MR2 and put your willy back in the exhaust and tell it how much you love it and that no amount of bad words from the bad man (me) will ever change that.

And Ps,

Grow up. Even if I dont say anything, not a dicky bird, people like you pipe up and say things. I dont start threads about BMW's and I dont start threads saying I dislike MR2's.
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

At least I'm not fat and lonely and can afford a tubby. Maybe the problem was that your suspension needed a stiffer spring on the drivers side to stop it fishtailing..? :-k

Return to “Driving Experiences”