Supra 1, MR2 0

Tales of driving experiences you have had.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

This post is:

Great
No votes
Stupid
No votes

Total votes: 0

JJ

Supra 1, MR2 0

Post by JJ »

I’m beginning to think these MR2’s are slow having a pop at the little sports cars big brothers all the time. It seems if you can hear an external wastegate on a supra, it going to be 600+ bhp and the momentum they can generate at speed can’t be matched by many cars on the road !

So here I am tootling along, I find a silver Supra in view right up my Jackson, for a short time, I held back, not to be rushed ( getting on a bit now > both me and the car ! ) .. I even pulled over to let him past… he follows me in… I could make out a roll cage in view with a clear view of a front mounted intercooler… Still there and driving relatively closely, I thought hes messing with the wrong MR2… I then moved back on the outside lane and stuck it in 4th with the turbo starting to spool, boost controller set to 1.2 bar… I find him pinned to the rear bumper.

Planted the throttle and pulled some 3 car lengths.. into 5th.. then he rapidly reels me in… we get caught up in some traffic… thought… okay… wrong gear, its got a bit more power than your normal Supra… stuck the boost controller to 1.6 bar and ruthlessly nailed it after the car moved over in 3rd… catch me if you can !! 4 car lengths out of it… into 4th…all the way to 8K @ 1.6 bar, into 5th cars pulling like a train… then bl00dy hell… this thing just starting pulling on me… and pulls right up along side me… and past…..

Get caught up in traffic again… round 3 …. This time I’m behind.. I see a puff of smoke as the rear squats, mid range cant be matched by the Supra and I find myself backing off, pulls on the inside lane.. but by then.. too late, the big turbo on the Supra has spooled and left trailing in the smoke.

Rapid rapid machine .. Eventually caught up with him side by side ( he must of ran out of fuel or sommat !!! ) to give him a little acknowledgement.. and nothing… didn’t look over, no emotion, not even a grin…. !! He’s either a very shy man or a real ignorant one !!

Couple of facts > Mine at 1.6 bar usually is pulling between 450 > 500bhp in a 1300kg body ( depends what I’ve eaten the night before ! ) , so its not the slowest….what I’ve failed to mention is this very car I saw a film clip of it 2 weeks before on a set of rollers producing a genuine… wait for it….. 1625 bhp **Sarcasm**!! Turbo would start to spool at 7000 rpm.. I don’t know much else about it, but can find out ( pump gas / nitrous.. I don’t know ) I do know he must only have a 2K power band which must be like the Star Trek Enterprise going into warp drive !!

I don’t believe the full 1600 bhp was/can be used on the road ( unless he wants to go back in time ) as it didn’t pull on mine for something 3x more powerful. Nevertheless, definitely a long going projects that’s finally come together.

You’ll probably start seeing this at dragways in the future cleaning up as it’s a great straightline tool.

Supra 1
MR2 0
Last edited by JJ on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
matt_mr2t

Re: Supra 1, MR2 0

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'd rather have your M5 :lol:
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Lets see the dyno vid then :)
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
JJ

Post by JJ »

toxo wrote:Lets see the dyno vid then :)

lol... I laughed as well when he showed me it... he just pull that number out the sky ??!! I watched it on a guys iPhone.. I'm sure its on youtube.. I'll try and catch up with him later in the week :D
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Was it 550bhp atw but calculated at a 300% tranny loss? :lol:
JJ

Post by JJ »

matt_mr2t wrote:Was it 550bhp atw but calculated at a 300% tranny loss? :lol:

I've edited my post to reflect a little sarcasm... Perhaps its true.. but to pull 1600 bhp out the sky as a statement...yeey right... the guy that told me, he is an Supra / Skyline engine builder too and deadly serious about it...

Put it this way... a change of fuelling and run 2.2 bar through mine... I dont think it'll have much pulled on it ( to 160 that is ! ) ..

Hat of to the miserable g1t, the Supra went well though !!

Rule of thumb, a 500bhp Supra cannot shake a 320bhp MR2 :D
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

A good tale non the less wonder what it was actually pushing i recon around 600whp from what ive seen

you'd hope a 450hp mr2 wud be untouchable to all but the quicker sportsbikes in the real world afterall its unlikely ur gonna look across at the lights and see a timeattack car.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I'd still rather your M5 out of all of them though 8)
craig

Post by craig »

Supra sounds like an absolute animal :twisted:

My first MR2 Turbo, I raced one at Santa Pod and I had it off the line, then he was just a dot on the horizon :lol:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

:thumleft:
fizz

Post by fizz »

RedMR² wrote:Supra sounds like an absolute animal :twisted:

My first MR2 Turbo, I raced one at Santa Pod and I had it off the line, then he was just a dot on the horizon :lol:

Good lad.. you should stick to racing on track! :whistle:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

RedMR² wrote:Supra sounds like an absolute animal :twisted:

my first run up at Santa Pod was against a Skyline drag car (with parachute). I had him off the line (well he was stationary for a few seconds :lol: ) and then it went past me just before the finish line doing a million mph.. I very nearly sh*t the bed.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

may be these 3 car lenght you pull is his turbo spooling :mrgreen:

hence my build have the nos option in

for 1600 bhp, dont he need like 3x 044 fuel pump and about 2000cc injector ?
greeny

Post by greeny »

Rob B wrote:
you'd hope a 450hp mr2 wud be untouchable to all but the quicker sportsbikes in the real world afterall its unlikely ur gonna look across at the lights and see a timeattack car.

A 450hp (flywheel) mr2 will just about hang with a 600 bike. A 1000 bike would anihlate it!

:wink:
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

greeny wrote:
Rob B wrote:

A 450hp (flywheel) mr2 will just about hang with a 600 bike. A 1000 bike would anihlate it!

i know.... my brothers 486hp gt4 hangs with my mates tuned 2008 zx6r its weird seein it keep up. My mate dunt like it thats for sure top end i think the car has the edge for what it loses on acceleration

im sure urs could almost stay with a 1000 :wink:
greeny

Post by greeny »

Rob B wrote:
greeny wrote:
Rob B wrote:

i know.... my brothers 486hp gt4 hangs with my mates tuned 2008 zx6r its weird seein it keep up. My mate dunt like it thats for sure top end i think the car has the edge for what it loses on acceleration

Im not sure, what does a gixxer 1000 do the quarter in?

Pretty sure id be losing to the 1/8th but after that it'd be close i think :-k
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

greeny wrote:
Rob B wrote:
greeny wrote:

I'd agree

1000s do mid tens at the least out of the box which is a scary thought
greeny

Post by greeny »

Rob B wrote:
greeny wrote:
Rob B wrote:

I'd agree

I need a big bike in my life! :mrgreen:

Well the fastest it's gone is 10.7@141 on street tyres so it'd be close!

........Although i'd be cheating using race fuel :lol:
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

greeny wrote:
Rob B wrote:
greeny wrote:

I'd agree

I need a big bike in my life! :mrgreen:

Well the fastest it's gone is 10.7@141 on street tyres so it'd be close!

........Although i'd be cheating using race fuel :lol:

thats why im gettin one 10sec quaters allday without a single issue all for the cost of an engine build.

Right enuff with cloggin up this quality thread #-o :D
matt-mr2

Post by matt-mr2 »

not the same car but 1600bhp can be done
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_83Yaekt2w

Return to “Driving Experiences”