Oil loss , what's acceptable ?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

gforceuk

Oil loss , what's acceptable ?

Post by gforceuk »

Hi all

What's acceptable ampunt of oil to lose monthly for a mk3 ?

I spoke to rogue motorsport and a litre a month was normal apparently ... For a 2001 with 55k on the clock .

Is this correct .
They mentioned getting it either fixed or upgraded to the next engine up if it goes bang at any point .
Anyone gone down that road ?

Anyone had the piston rings replaced how much did it cost ? And likewise for the engine replacement .

And one last one , is there an oil it additive you can use to slow oil loss down and prolong engine life?

Ta
Ekona

Re: Oil loss , what's acceptable ?

Post by Ekona »

Toyota specify 1L per 1000 miles. My own experience says that if your engine is using that much, then it's goosed and you're going to need a new one very shortly sadly.

2ZZ is a decent engine if you fancy the upgrade, it's not for everyone though and there are obvious monetary and insurance complications if you go down that route. I'd personally change it for a 2003+ engine (post-facelift) as there was a re-design of the rings then and you won't get the same problem, expect to pay anywhere between £600-£1000 for a lump.

I wouldn't bother with oil additives as you're kinda past the point of no return, a thicker oil will help though but you're only postponing the inevitable sadly.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Other option is to get a short block from Toyota and build it yourself. I've another friend doing that atm. Though his engine lasted until about 140K miles and he's only doing it now because it failed on emissions at the MOT.
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

I am in the procese of removing a siezed 1zz and rebuilding a good running pre facelift 1zz with the later style pistons with new bearings, oil and water pump then refitting. Will probably take a few months to finish. Its a fair amount of work but hopefully it will run well when its done.

If your replacing the rings and pistons yourself, assuming the block is useable, then expect to spend at least £500 if your doing the work yourself. I have budgeted £750 as i'll be replacing bearings oil and water pumps, clutch....assuming i dont need to rebore the block.[/quote]
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

I have the mechanical know how of a chimp , I own one hammer and two screwdrivers .... So doing anything of the sort is out of the question lol.

I'll be paying someone else to do it .

Although on eBay I've seenany places doing an engine swap fir a refurbed fitted for 900 .. Tempting
foxy-stoat

Post by foxy-stoat »

I would be careful of any ebay seller with names like ideal engines, nippon or anyone else offering recon'd engines for cheap money. Heard of too many crooks. You get what you pay for with this type of thing.
We ALL make mistakes !!! :)
gforceuk

Post by gforceuk »

Definately ... eBay isn't where I'd go to get it done , but if it's about a grand then I'll put some away from the inevitable seizure

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”