Just had sideskirts sprayed, but dont match- Azure blue

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ryan

Just had sideskirts sprayed, but dont match- Azure blue

Post by ryan »

Just had some sideskirts sprayed by local bosyshop, in 8k9 (azure/purplish blue). I gave the bodyshop an old front aplitter which was an EXACT match for the paintwork as im aware there can be 2 or 3 variations or shade. However ive just fitted them and they dont match the rest of the car, they look too blue. They did say they couldnt match the splitter as the only other shade of 8k9 was way out. Im going to take them back tomorrow and complain, but I dont know where I stand. The front splitter has had a few coats of paint in its life but it is an exact match to the rest of the car and this is ther colour I wanted them to spray the skirts.
Im pretty sure the paint hasnt faded, even though its a 1997 car, as its a metallic so dont fade? Should they be using some other way of matching the paint other than just going by paint code? Im really disappointed with them :(
Looking at this
http://www.pc.dupont.com/hcl/search/ima ... ta/Foreign Cars/Toyota Lexus/TOY_LEX 1990-2003/TOY 1997/008991.jpg&mode=fullscrn
The paint on my car looks far more like 8L6 (also says azure blue) than the 8K9 that stamped into my vin plate
Last edited by ryan on Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFLee

Re: Just had sideskirts sprayed, but dont match- Azure blue

Post by SFLee »

dont you suppose to fit the kit then spray, and usually they will overspray to bend in

paint will age and different material will age differenently also
ryan

Post by ryan »

SFLee wrote:dont you suppose to fit the kit then spray, and usually they will overspray to bend in

I was told years ago by a car restoration company that 'blending' shouldnt be needed, and is only done where the bodyshop isnt up to scratch and cant match the paint properly.
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

If you use the original paint code it will not match, as said above the paint will dull and age, even it still looks in good condition it will not be the same as when it came from factory (look under the bonnet for a better reading of factory colour).

Some bodyshops have expensive equipment which they take a reading from lots of different spots over the body work and match the colour to this and mix it for you. Otherwise it will be similar but noticable difference.

My car is Super Red II but to respray the bonnet and wings (laquer peeling off) would not match rest of the car so I am doing full respray and adding a bodykit at the same time,

Any pics of how bad a match it is?

Cheers

Lee

*Edit: I mean look at the colour of the underside of the bonnet just to make myself clear.
ryan

Post by ryan »

Itys certainly noticeable and thees little if no difference between original paint and if you look inside door shuts for example.

I did have my super redII car resprayed years ago (complete respray), and the first bastch of paint they used was too orangy so they went to ICI and got the paint. It was super red II 'B' (blue) shade
I will take some pics tomorrow.
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Very strange, any chance it was resprayed before you got it? In a different shade?

Lee
ryan

Post by ryan »

leenjenna wrote:Very strange, any chance it was resprayed before you got it? In a different shade?

Lee

Hmm, I dont think so as the paint all looks original except rear bumper. The more I look at 8L6 in that link I supplied, the more it looks like that, not 8k9. There were 2 shgades on their colour chip (ICI paint used) and this was the closest they said :?
I knew I should have bought a white one! [-(
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ryan wrote:
SFLee wrote:dont you suppose to fit the kit then spray, and usually they will overspray to bend in

I was told years ago by a car restoration company that 'blending' shouldnt be needed, and is only done where the bodyshop isnt up to scratch and cant match the paint properly.

Its mainly Silver colours, light colours and pastle looking colours that need blended into other panels when painting Edge to edge

If your bodyshop only has ICI and that was the best colour they had from the colour chips then thats probably the best they can do.

Bodyshop I work at has ICI, Spies Hecker, BMW Glasurite and another. this gives a HUGE range of possible colour matches.

Eg your paint code -

ICI could have 2 varients
Spies could have 7 varients
Glas could have 5 varients
and our other system could have 10

Oh and them varients can look ALOT different. eg you can have a car where Nothing in Speis or ICI could match but Glas will have a spot on match

Also painting onto different materials can sometimes affect the finish. I painted a metal wing and plastic bumper corner on a silver car and they came out a slight different shade to each other even when painted together on the car.

Have you tried polishing the car next to the skirts?
ryan

Post by ryan »

Thats interesting Steve, thanks for the detailed reply. The thing is, even if they 'blend' the bottom of the door to match skirts and vents, it will still look 2 tone :?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ryan wrote:Thats interesting Steve, thanks for the detailed reply. The thing is, even if they 'blend' the bottom of the door to match skirts and vents, it will still look 2 tone :?

the way it blends out will realy take your eye off it Unless it is 100 miles off. Azure is a lightish blue isnt it?

Realy you want a bodyshop with more colour matching options :thumleft:
ryan

Post by ryan »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:
ryan wrote:Thats interesting Steve, thanks for the detailed reply. The thing is, even if they 'blend' the bottom of the door to match skirts and vents, it will still look 2 tone :?

the way it blends out will realy take your eye off it Unless it is 100 miles off. Azure is a lightish blue isnt it?

Realy you want a bodyshop with more colour matching options :thumleft:

Yes its like a purplish blue metallic (rev4 colour only) I will take it there tomorrow, see what they say :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”