[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil level; am I being paranoid

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

cvega666

[Mk2] [Turbo] Oil level; am I being paranoid

Post by cvega666 »

Does the level of the street on which i check oil level matter a lot ? as in, would some gradient on the street make the oil level vary a lot depending on how car is parked?
Sometimes I can see the oil at high sometimes almost at low, I was getting really worried then noticed that my street is not exactly level.... just wondering how much difference would it make.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
g.lewarne

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Oil level; am I being paranoid

Post by g.lewarne »

depends on the hill mostly. if its really steep it can make a difference, i have seen as much as max to min difference on steep hills. Also depends (of course) how long the engine has been sat before you check it - the longer the better
Slarty wrote:
it's just that we subscrible to the theory of hitting it harder until it works. Or something falls off, in which case you've hit it too hard.
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

Well, it seems that the oil is going somewhere. No smoking or visible leaking from the engine, as a matter of fact, it's very clean underneath. No smoking on boost as far as I can see. Exhaust doesn't smell of oil.. But the oil level was just over low this morning. When firing up the car first thing in the morning, the oil light stays on for about 4-5 seconds then goes out. Where to look ? :(
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

The oil light on dash for a turbo is not oil level but oil pressure.

If oil fluctuates between low and high on dip stick then nothing much to worry about. You can't lose oil one day then the next day it reads at max.

Not unless you have a little friendly sprite in you engine bay that tops it up for you over night :lol:
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

well, I'm not sure, but for the peace of mind I check it often and travel with the following in my boot :lol: water, forlife, oil and a set of sockets ;P
mark239

Post by mark239 »

cvega666 wrote:Well, it seems that the oil is going somewhere. No smoking or visible leaking from the engine, as a matter of fact, it's very clean underneath. No smoking on boost as far as I can see. Exhaust doesn't smell of oil.. But the oil level was just over low this morning. When firing up the car first thing in the morning, the oil light stays on for about 4-5 seconds then goes out. Where to look ? :(

I would be worried at an oil light that doesn't go out for 5 seconds. Replace the sensor first and foremost.

Return to “Mechanical”