[Mk2] [Generic] valve spring compressor tool?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DiYMCRT

[Mk2] [Generic] valve spring compressor tool?

Post by DiYMCRT »

hi all i've got some stuck inlet valves in no2 (recently bought head cheap and looks as though it's been sitting after a previous head gasket failure) looking at the valve spring compressor tool a c-clamp looks like it'd do the job with a correct size bush acting on the spring retainer? any help much appreciated
abovetherim

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] valve spring compressor tool?

Post by abovetherim »

Hi there
as the valve springs are recessed a little you need a compressor with an adjustable or longer collar end.
I bought this one thinking it would be long enough but the collar end was too short!!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VALVE-SPRING-COMP ... 564084e41f

So instead of returning and paying for a more expensive one i just chopped up an old spark plug socket and tacked it on the end, worked a treat

I will have to cut out the side of the original ring to reassemble to be able to get my fat fingers in to fit the collets.

If you buy one like this you will have no problems
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Sealey-Valve- ... 19c16c0f43
Mike N

spring

Post by Mike N »

You dont need a spring compressor to remove the valves.

To remove and save tons of time use a socket on an short extension almost as big as the retainer cap and welly it with a hammer, the collets will jump out and the valve will be free to come out etc. :wink: use a suitable mangnet to get the collets out after each valve spring so you know you have them all.

Any long nosed spring compressor can be used for re-fitting. Most modern engines are 16v, the MR2 is nothing special.

Hope this helps
Mike
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

my mate does that all the time, he done it to one of my uprated LET heads and the socket split, made a mess of the walls of the head.....an expensive failure

he had the right too for the job there too :neutral:
Mike N

head

Post by Mike N »

Then he should buy some decent sockets and learn how to do it properly!

I've been doing it like that for over 30 years and it has never caused any damage doing it my way.
T.F.S.

Re: head

Post by T.F.S. »

Mike N wrote:Then he should buy some decent sockets and learn how to do it properly!

I've been doing it like that for over 30 years and it has never caused any damage doing it my way.

yea he has been doing it over 30 years too...dont know where you learn to do it properley though as its a bodge done by lazy mechanics who should know better :mrgreen:
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

best tool i've ever used for it is THIS

so simple and works really.
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

thanks all for advise, i like the idea of just using a hammer it's my style :lol: but i don't really want to risk damaging anything

sorry above the rim the pics don't work but i think i get what you're saying

i'll see how i get on with a clamp and something turned to the correct diameter acting on the retainer if that doesn't work look's like another tool will be bought

trhanks all

:thumleft:
mark239

Post by mark239 »

another vote for a socket and hammer here too.

I also bung a little double sided tape up the inside of the socket to catch the collets.

To compress, any old valve spring compressor works. The one I have has a bar you bolt to the head - I use the cam cover bolt holes
DiYMCRT

Post by DiYMCRT »

9oz hammer shaft snapped :( if i can find a smaller hammer than the lump hammer i'll give it ago :lol:

mark239 wrote:The one I have has a bar you bolt to the head - I use the cam cover bolt holes

now were talking :thumleft: i'm sure i can find some 'spare' threadbar and i know where theres some old bar lying round i'll get on that cheers matey \:D/

Return to “Mechanical”