[Mk2] [Generic] Views/Reviews on lowering springs

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Maverick9999

[Mk2] [Generic] Views/Reviews on lowering springs

Post by Maverick9999 »

Hi there,

I'm going to be replacing the knackered springs on my rev2 turbo and have been doing some reading. I'm after the usual requests "springs that are firm when you're pushing the car hard around corners, but offer good ride quality when normally driving around". My current unknown brand springs are both excessively low and rearrange my spine every time I ride over an imperfection in the road :( Looking for ~30mm lowering springs.

I hear the best springs which fit the requirement are eibachs. Apex do some but reviews say that they are too stiff? Do people have experience of this? Any views of these or any others for less £180?

Has anyone tried fitting softish springs and taking care of corner handling by fitting stronger roll bars, thereby getting a good compromise in handling?
HighwayStar

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Views/Reviews on lowering springs

Post by HighwayStar »

If you're after comfort that last could help. Whitelines I guess are the way to go (adjustable and available) then stick to standard springs.. or the Eibacks. I don't think you'll see much lowering though.

R
Rory

Post by Rory »

Ive had the following suspenstino on MR2

Rev 2 - Standard suspenstion changed to Tein Superstreets with topmounts. Aweseome ride quality. Almost as comfy as stock setup but low.

Rev 3 - Tein S springs. Awesome low look but too hard for me. I think 10 years ago I would have been happy with the ride but I guess I'm getting old

Rev 3 - BC Coilovers - Just as good as superstreet (maybe better) - Comfy ride quality.

I would go for coilovers if you can afford to stretch the budget.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I run the Eibach Pro springs and i can't fault them.
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

G-max -30/40 comfort ok but not very low, Apex -30 comfort ok but want lower so Tein S on the cards.

Had old Tein ha coilovers before which were rockhard.

Paul :thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Went for apex -30's. Waiting for them to be delivered as they're on back order. Hope they lower the car enough. Have 215/40/17 front and 225/45/17 on back. Hoping to get an even distance between the tyre and arch... that's the look I'm going for... at the moment I'd prefer comfort as I've had enough of being bounced around although I love that the minimal roll of firm springs!
JayUK91

Post by JayUK91 »

This is my car on Apex -30mm

Personally, I love them. Just as comfortable as OEM, and low enough to give a nice stance, but not too low to make me have to avoid speedbumps.
I can't really comment on performance much, but they make the car feel very planted. :thumleft:
alan wheeldon

Post by alan wheeldon »

I can recommend TRD anti roll bars with standard shocks and springs. If you can't afford them go for the Whiteline ones :thumleft:

But if you are going just for looks then go with the lowering springs but you will get a lot of bump steer.
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Cool. Looks like the apex's should fit nicely for the look I want...

I hear the rev3+ start a little lower in OEM trim compared to rev2's like mine...

Counting down the days til camskill can deliver em!
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Just reporting back after fittting my apex -30mm's.

Have to agree with Jay about it being a perfect combination of a comfy ride over speed bumps which dont cleave off half my undertray and also being firm enough to still toss around corners.

Would highly recommend!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

pics please...
Phill P

Post by Phill P »

JayUK91 wrote:This is my car on Apex -30mm

Personally, I love them. Just as comfortable as OEM, and low enough to give a nice stance, but not too low to make me have to avoid speedbumps.
I can't really comment on performance much, but they make the car feel very planted. :thumleft:

Out of interest is that an Aeroware front lip?

:thumleft:
Rota torque drifts Japseed exhaust Apexi air filter Gizzmo ibc Apex springs Hks turbo timer 242bhp at .8 bar
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Am a little busy this weekend but put some pics up (once I figure out how to stick them in the post rather than on photobucket)...
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

here you go, as promised...

Return to “Modifications”