YAY! My Baby Is Rollin!!!

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Boddney

YAY! My Baby Is Rollin!!!

Post by Boddney »

Well excited. Came home from work yesterday, got Roxie as we've called her out of the garage, put the tax disc in and when for my first drive ever after 5 years of refurbing.

Man I love it.
First problems. Terrible stink of fuel. Went to the garage and filled it up and the smell wes gone. I think it must have been rotten fuel. I have put a gallon in now and then over the last 5 years during the refurb process but i suppose it was still bad.
We then went for a 10 mile drive and got a wiff of brake/clutch smell here and there. When I got home I popped the bonnet but it all smelt ok apart from the hot smell.
I then went round all the wheels and OH MY GOD. The o/s rear wheel was to hot to touch, even so I still touch it and got burnt, silly boy.
So gave Roxie a polish for an hour to let it all cool down.
So, took the wheel off, got my son to operate the hand & foot brake and it all moved as it should. (Scratch head)
Took the bolt out of the caliper and swung it up out the way, took the inner pad out and all is fine, go to take the out pad out and it's stuck.
Anyway, got it out, cleaned it up along with the carrier but it wont go back in. I then filed off a bit of paint and rust and it still won't go back in.
Then a bit of luck. The springy thing at the bottom pinged off and then that would'nt go back on.
AHH, penny dropped. There was rust on the carrier under the springy thing forcing it up thus making the gap to small for the pad to fit in thus jamming the pad to tight.
Massive clean up then commenced, copper slip added and all put back together and releaseing just fine.
God help me if all the drives go like this.
Anyway, I can't stop smiling and am up early this morning to go out again.
Lots of friends and family to visit and show off to as it has been thier standing joke that I have had the car soooo long and never driven it. HA in your face you lot.

Cheers, see you around
Bod :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: YAY! My Baby Is Rollin!!!

Post by Lauren »

Good to have it back on the road. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
MartG

Post by MartG »

Good to hear there's another Mk1 back on the road - well done :thumleft:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Should there be a kind of small turbo like kick in power somewhere in the rev range from the T-vis. It does'nt seem to happen with mine. It just seems to rev out.
May be it is there and i'm just used to the hard kick of my turbo diesel DD.
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

Nice one mate!! Great to see such a good looking mr2 on the road :)

Wave if ya see me lol
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's not really a 'turbo kick'. You should note the induction note changing (though it may depend upon whether you run a cone filter or not) when TVIS comes in. But there isn't really a 'kick' as such.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

Thanks lauren. I run a standard filter which is maybe why I noticed nothing. Ah well no matter, as long as it's doing what it should then thats fine.
I've not been out in her today which is a shame what with mothers day stuff to do but theres plenty of time coming soon as the children are going away to my Mums next week. GOOD TIMES!!!! \:D/ :D \:D/

Formysin, I have and will keep looking out for you as I'm often up your way in my truck and all over Norfolk and Suffolk. I look at all MR2's anyway but have also been watching for XR3's. By the way, what is your name??

Bod
ForMySin

Post by ForMySin »

My names Terry :) but don't go around telling everyone LOL
If you are in full control you aren't driving fast enough- Stirling Moss
monkeymax

Post by monkeymax »

Great news! :+:

Boddney wrote:God help me if all the drives go like this.

Shouldn't do. As long as you keep using it! :)

I run a standard filter on my Mk1; there's not a hugely noticeable sound difference between TVIS being on and off, though the tone sounds a little more urgent...

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”