[Mk2] [Generic] Tyre choice for 17inch rims. Could you post pics of your tyres/rims?

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Maverick9999

[Mk2] [Generic] Tyre choice for 17inch rims. Could you post pics of your tyres/rims?

Post by Maverick9999 »

Hi there,

I hope to be receiving my Kei 17inch (17x7) rims pretty soon and will need to put some boots on them as my current rims are 16's. I have heard that the best dimension for tyres on the MK2 are

FRONT 215/40/17
REAR 245/40/17

Would anyone agree with this? Would anyone be able to post a pic of their 17's with their choice of tyre (and the spec) so I can make a decision on the profile size?

Also, I'm looking for a V shaped tread pattern running on the tyre as I think they look quite cool. Would anyone be able to recommend a certain make/model/brand in the size I need or another "must have" model/brand which MR2 owners stick on their MK2's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Slarty

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tyre choice for 17inch rims. Could you post pics of your tyres/rims?

Post by Slarty »

245 rears on a 7" rim is way too much tyre for the wheel. You'll get very "bulged" sidewalls because the rim is too narrow for the tyre.

If you look at the following photo (click on it for a larger view), you can see that the sidewall of the tyre is quite straight, if anything the tyre is a little too narrow for the rim (235 on a 9" rim).

On an unstaggered set of 7" rims I'd go for 205/215 on the front and a max of 225 on the rear.

As for the V pattern, well they're good for water dispersal but buying them for asthetic purposes is hmmmmm dubious to say the least :lol: I have Goodyear F1 asymetrical on the rear and Goodyear F1 GSD3 on the front (which are a V pattern) and I rate them both very highly. Although the rears don't last too long as they're quite a soft compound.
JeffD

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Tyre choice for 17inch rims. Could you post pics of your tyres/rims?

Post by JeffD »

The sizes you quote are what TRD used on the TRD2000GT but thats with 7" width on the front and 8.5" on the back.

A few pics and details here but ignore the backs for reasons above.

http://trd2000gt.forumotion.com/t40-trd ... ody-wheels

Might be tempted to run narrower one son the rear. Scroll down to the table on this thread and it shows recommended tyre widths to match wheel widths
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Thanks guys. I can understand what you're saying. I haven't gone down the route of staggering the wheels due to cost but I was planning on getting spacers on the rears to get the tyre flush with the arch.

Slarty, Would this change the recommendation for the width of the rear wheel if I used spacers?

As for softer compounds, I'd be after something more durable than ones which give better performance, or is the extra grip that noticable?

JeffD, do you mean the table written in japanese? Also it looks like a combination of X/40/17 tyres on a 17inch rim and 30mm lowering springs is just the right match to get the gap between the tyre and the arch roughly the same all the way around, would I be correct?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Sorry I forgoot to post the link! DOH!

Table is partway down here

http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/visual ... calculator
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Ah cool, thanks for that. Nice app!

Is it correct that the stock wheels on a mk2 are 190/60/14?
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

14" was only on rev1 but most cars have

15x6 ET45 195/55/15 front
15x7 ET45 225/50/15 back

another very good website

http://mr2.gordaen.com/wt_calc.php
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Slarty, I was wondering what the benefits of the goodyear F1's are over others, as they cost nearly £100 each (ouch)?

Any user reviews/views on Toyo Proxes T1 R's (£73) / Falken 452's (£63)?

Thanks for the link JeffD, have seen the second one, looks very helpful once I get all the numbers! :)
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

Maverick9999 wrote:Slarty, Would this change the recommendation for the width of the rear wheel if I used spacers?

No, the width of the wheel would remain the same, just its position within the wheel arch would change.

Maverick9999 wrote:As for softer compounds, I'd be after something more durable than ones which give better performance, or is the extra grip that noticable?

To me, it was. I moved from F1s on the rear to GSD3s as the F1 is no longer made in the size I use. I did notice a difference though. Both tyres over the Toyos I had on there to begin with were also a massive difference (for the better, I hasten to add). But that is of course, just my personal opinion ;)

Maverick9999 wrote:Slarty, I was wondering what the benefits of the goodyear F1's are over others, as they cost nearly £100 each (ouch)?

My rear tyres are nearer £140 so don't complain too much :lol: As stated above, I like them, the offer good levels of grip (both in the wet and the dry) and the fronts seem to be quite communicative in feedback.

The fronts will last ages though, I had a pair on for well over 2 years and they had a 1/3rd of the tread left. They were only changed due to a defect in the tyre. The rears last me about 16 months or so, and that's on a daily driver.
Maverick9999

Post by Maverick9999 »

Hmmm... would sticking some F1's on the front and some Toyo's/Falkens on the rear be considered as madness? That way I get good 'bite' at the front and good durability on the rear...?
Slarty

Post by Slarty »

No it wouldn't be madness at all. A lot of it is down to personal preference so if it works for you, that's all that matters :)
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

im sa huge fan of the Falken 452s.
they seem pretty durable and also give good grip in both wet and dry for a reasonable price. They also have a V-pattern tread.
If I were you I'd be looking at those...
Not sure what sizes to go for on those rims though. I have 235s on an 8 inch rim.

Wingers

Return to “Modifications”