[Mk2] [NA] loud squeel when turning left

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

south_wales_MR2

[Mk2] [NA] loud squeel when turning left

Post by south_wales_MR2 »

Hi guys,

My rev4 has developed a problem. Whenever I turn left I get a loud metal-on-metal sound, like a SHHHHHHHHHH sound, coming from my wheel area. I know my ARB drop link is worn, but this seems to have developed only recently. Its only when i turn left, and when I straighten the wheel again it slowly goes away.

Would I be right in thinking it was the Wheel bearing?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian
south_wales_MR2

Re: [Mk2] [NA] loud squeel when turning left

I've also noticed it pulling to the left a lot now, but seemed to develop quite quickly, i.e. in a matter of days went from ok to very bad.

Would a worn wheel bearing on the drivers side, cause steering pull to the left?!
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

wheel bearings normally hum and drone before giving up the ghost...if it's pulling to the left badly...have you looked at your brake pads and discs? ...also the brake dust plate can easily get bent and rub on the disc...best to jack it up with the whell off and inspect it all really, you will be able to wobble the wheel a bit if the bearing has gone, when jacked up off the floor.
DavidM

Post by DavidM »

had something similar a while back and it turned out to be the metal wear indicator on the brake pad making contact with the disk, just happened on corners/bends.
EX Caribbean Blue 10th Anniversary 1996 T-bar
EX Black 1995 mk2 GT Turbo
NOW Audi TT V6 3.2 DSG 2004 Coupe
south_wales_MR2

It seems to be getting worse and worse. Now it happens when I brake, and sometimes when turning left.

My handling is suffering big time because of it. Its so hard to tell if its coming from the front or rear when im driving it.

Return to “Mechanical”