mmmmmm....Crysis 2

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Marf

Re: mmmmmm....Crysis 2

Post by Marf »

fizz wrote:
Marf wrote:
fizz wrote:Damn you I was going to buy this too! The 1st one was epic! ](*,)

Buy it, you may enjoy it, just don't expect it to be a continuation of the first game in either game play or graphics (maxed out at 1080p the demo barely made my GTX280 break a sweat, wherease the first game could easily melt it!)

Didnt know there was a demo.. will have to give it a try on the PC.

If you have steam, get it there. The direct download demo's user logon is handled through Gamespy and it sucks

Register new account - name is taken - ok choose new name - e-mail is taken!

So if you choose a name that is taken, it still registers the e-mail address so you then can't use that e-mail address to register your account.

Shucking Fite.
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Marf wrote:
matt_mr2t wrote:
Marf wrote:[cough]All vomit at the Mattpost™[/cough]

;)

:thumleft:

:mrgreen:

Chew it back, it tastes better the 2nd time. :thumleft:
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

Marf wrote:It's shucking fit.

What was an amazing PC game has been turned into a bonafide console game, even on the PC.

It may as well be called COD:Nanosuit.

Shame on you Crytek. Effing sellouts [-(

A mate bought the PS3 version on Saturday, I asked him why he was playing MW2 still on Sunday, he said tried it for a couple of hours, looks nice but hmmmmm :lol:
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Andy, some people only play COD though and refuse to even try other things any more.

It's like offering a crack addict something new. They're so addicted to the crack they cant give that up to try the other thing :lol:
H3RB

Post by H3RB »

there are so many more better online games then cod but everybody sticks to it cause its easy
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

I still think Warhawk beats eveything for the fun factor becuase of all its alternative transportation available and prefer Killzone 2 over COD online.

Will try and pinch Crysis 2 off my mate if he's not gonna play it and make up my own mind.

I don't bother too much with online shooters anymore but Warhawk 2/Starhawk/whatever it's gonna be called might turn me back :)
Marf

Post by Marf »

Andy Jones wrote:I still think Warhawk beats eveything for the fun factor becuase of all its alternative transportation available and prefer Killzone 2 over COD online.

That's whats good about the first Crysis, in multiplayer "Crysis Wars" you can pilot helicopters, APVs, tanks, trucks, jeeps, VTOLS etc etc.
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

I never played the original :( My "computer" gaming ended in the mid 90's when the Amiga went bump and I defected over to the PS brand.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Andy Jones wrote:I never played the original :( My "computer" gaming ended in the mid 90's when the Amiga went bump and I defected over to the PS brand.

I've kinda come full circle, was totally PC based, then got a PS, a PS2, then in the gap between PS2 and 3 I've had a couple of gaming PCs. Not got a PS3 - pretty much cos its too much money to spend to play GT5 :lol:
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

Cryengine 3 \:D/
Marf

Post by Marf »

Razor04 wrote:Cryengine 3 - dulled down for console hardware

EFA :lol:
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Marf

Post by Marf »

Can you copy paste?

Work blocks gaming sites [-(
fizz

Post by fizz »

Having played Crysis 2, the latest from the former technical innovators at Crytek, I have to express that I’m not only horrified, but also shocked, at the paucity of graphical accomplishments in what should have been a groundbreaking game. It’s quite clear that massive compromises have been made in order to keep the console market happy, meaning the PC version of the game is crippled to the point where it’s literally impossible to look at without feeling physically sick. I have put together some detailed analysis of the differences between CryEngine 2 and CryEngine 3, to prove that the developers have let everyone down.

First of all, let’s take a look at the technical range.
Crysis, built in the CryEngine 2, was capable of a 32.2m pixel spread across a 12 joule range, displayed in a dynamically generated four-part volumetric resource buffer. This meant a broad spectrum resonance in the upper 40s, with significant occlusion.
However, when we perform our benchmark tests on the CryEngine 3, it registers only 32.1m pixels in the 12J, reducing the BSR to a measly 43, with almost negligible ambience.
But it gets worse once you include the Verticle [sic] Sync Module. CryEngine 2 was praised by for its revolutionary VSM, significantly upscaling especially on NVidia chipsets. When we take a look at the CE3 VSM figures they reveal a significant drop in upscaling, and a worrying trend demonstrating an increase in downscaling.
So how does this translate in real terms? Well, let’s take a look at a simple in-game object, a basic crate model. In order to remain impartial we’ve selected boxes appearing in darker areas. Here’s Crysis:
And here’s Crysis 2:
At first glance the textures in Crysis 2 may look improved, with the appearance of more detail, and a slightly more realistic look. Certainly if you were only to run past them that may be the impression you’re left with. But let’s take a closer look at what’s really going on here.
Here’s the Crysis texture:
And here’s the reality of the Crysis 2 texture:
As you can see there’s absolutely no comparison, the Crysis 2 “cardboard box” barely featuring a fifth of the parametric mesh generation of its predecessor, unquestionably as a result of the PS3′s weaker OpenMP.
That’s at a micro scale, but the same deficiencies appear on a macro scale. For instance, let’s take a look at a scene from near the beginning of Crysis:
And now a scene a similar distance into Crysis 2:
Immediately you’ll notice not only a downturn in colour (almost 32.3% by our benchmark), but also a significant reduction in flora. It’s quite clear that the development of CryEngine 3 for the consoles has led to a devastating effect on the in-game environments, lowered ambient conditions for both AI and NPCs (inevitably as a result of the 360′s eDRAM chip), and a raise in carbon production by over 300%. With Crysis having supported DX12, and Crysis 2 not even shipping with DX11 support, it’s nothing short of a disgrace.
At the time of writing Crytek have refused to respond to any of the points made above, and it’s pretty obvious why.
Marf

Post by Marf »

Yep sounds about right. Thank fizz.

Gutted, was really looking forward to seeing how they'd evolve cryengine for crysis 2. It seems they have devolved it.

Shame on me for thinking they'd keep their core fans happy by actually improving on the previous PC version.
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

It's come to the masses :D rejoice........rejoice i tell thee :thumleft:
Marf

Post by Marf »

Like I said above, dulled down for console hardware. :thumleft:

Understandable given PCs can be far and away higher specced than consoles, but to do this while reducing the games quality for PC users is silly.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Marf wrote:Yep sounds about right. Thank fizz.

Gutted, was really looking forward to seeing how they'd evolve cryengine for crysis 2. It seems they have devolved it.

Shame on me for thinking they'd keep their core fans happy by actually improving on the previous PC version.

*facepalm* #-o

Someone needs to re-read all that and put their Sarcasm Hat back on ;)
Razor04

Post by Razor04 »

yeah I agree, should've produced the PC version and separate console version. Instead of developing it on 360 and porting to PC.
Marf

Post by Marf »

ekona wrote:
Marf wrote:Yep sounds about right. Thank fizz.

*facepalm* #-o

Someone needs to re-read all that and put their Sarcasm Hat back on ;)

Confused, splain it to me please :-k

Return to “Games Consoles”