Gearbox fitting advice

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Jonjeffryes

Gearbox fitting advice

Post by Jonjeffryes »

Ok, engine is back in minus the gearbox.....I just could not line the two up on the ground as I,m working on my own.

So I've hoisted the engine back in which is hanging off the cam belt side engine mount with a Jack supporting under the oil pan.

the plan is; using my son to lift with me; just to lift and wiggle it into position.....then bolt it up and Jack the gearbox in place to attach the engine mount on that side....job done....in theory.

The complications are this is in a lock up just barely wider than the car so all the action is under the car...with us laying on our backs. The car is raised on stands front and back at a level to get the engine back under the car....so the gearbox needs to be lifted about 18 inches.

Now my son is a big lad (he is 26 btw) so between the pair of us we should be able to do the lift.....

However am I missing the point....is there an easier way that I have missed???

Any advice will be mucho appreciated

Thanks

Jon
Lewis Jay

Re: Gearbox fitting advice

Post by Lewis Jay »

Get a piece or rope, about the thickness of your finger is best and loop it through the gearbox mount holes then feed it through to the top so you can get hold it from above.

Get someone underneath to lift the box or rest it on a jack, then use the rope from above to take the weight while they guide it home.

Works everytime. :thumleft:

All you need to do then is jack it up and then pull the rope out the bolts holes and it should line up easy.
Last edited by Lewis Jay on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonjeffryes

Post by Jonjeffryes »

Lewis Jay wrote:Get a piece or rope, about the thickness of your finger is best and loop it through the gearbox mount holes then feed it through to the top so you can get hold it from above.

Get someone underneath to lift the box or rest it on a jack, then use the rope from above to take the weight while they guide it home.

Works everytime. :thumleft:

All you need to do then it jack it up and the pull the rope out and the bolts holes and it should line up easy.

Brilliant, this is just what I needed....and what makes this forum so good :thumleft:
Fourveesix

Post by Fourveesix »

Just rest the gearbox on a trolley jack and let it take the strain while you get it located into position, always a possibility of dislodging the car from the stands if youre too violent trying to get it one the splines so be a bit careful. :thumleft:
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

I did mine on my own in a field with 2 trolly jacks,1 for the box and 1 to adjust the height/angle of the engine, and lumps of wood...it's not an easy job at all but once you're lined up it's gravy all the way mate.
Don't leave it hanging on the spline...I used a few of the long bolts to wind the box into place whilst controlling the jack with the other hand untill it was tight enough to remove the trolley jack...when I do it again I shall use some lengths of all thread and bolts to help wind it into place...I've done this twice now...the first time I did it, after fitting, I decided that I needed a well earned cup of rosie before slapping the rest of it together...I turned round and stood up...and what was at my feet...THE GOD DAMN THRUST BEARING...lol...fk...had to do it all again.
pta

Post by pta »

Use correct torque and blue locktite when bolting it together with engine. You do not want the 4th cylinder to look like an oval.
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

when doing it old school it's also good on the turbo to wedge a bit of wood between the firewall and inlet manifold to stop the engine falling back on the stand. gives you beef lining up. recommend trying to hold the engine on the crane rather than jack. future tip, if you're struggling, put the engine on the cambelt side and drop the box on vertical.(engine out of course)
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

oh, and stay calm!
Jonjeffryes

Thanks guys

Post by Jonjeffryes »

Thanks guys for all your responses

Jon
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Skywalker wrote: if you're struggling, put the engine on the cambelt side and drop the box on vertical.(engine out of course)

It is just so easy doing it this way
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Skywalker wrote:when doing it old school it's also good on the turbo to wedge a bit of wood between the firewall and inlet manifold to stop the engine falling back on the stand. gives you beef lining up. recommend trying to hold the engine on the crane rather than jack. future tip, if you're struggling, put the engine on the cambelt side and drop the box on vertical.(engine out of course)

Stupid question, but the oil needs draining first right?! When tipping the engine on its side)

Is this the easiest way to fit twin plate clutches?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I am sure we have done it with the oil in, but yes better with the oil out of the sump
Its on it end, not on its side and just so easy to fit with any clutch that way
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Whats the best way to get it safely to the ground? Mine's on an engine stand at the minute. I was going to hoik it onto a crane, lower it to the floor, then remove one of the hooks and lift it using only the dizzy end hanger....
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

That will do it, just spread rags on the floor to stop marking the belt cover and get somone to take one side of the gearbox with you and it will fall into place as long as you have the plates lined up ok
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Cool, cheers. Will have a go at that this weekend I think.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”