abv valve

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

stewmr2

abv valve

Post by stewmr2 »

hello all i have eventualy got the fensport pulley fitted and now need to do the mod on the abv what i wanted to no is if i blank the abv do i need to T the vacum lines cheers stew
MartG

Re: abv valve

Post by MartG »

If you completely blank off the ABV, you can leave the vacuum lines alone.
stewmr2

abv valve

Post by stewmr2 »

thanks for the reply just wanted to make sure i was doing it right :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

stewmr2 wrote:thanks for the reply just wanted to make sure i was doing it right :thumleft:

You can equalise the pressure by swopping the VSV hoses around, but it's a crap way to do it.

Better to blank it off completely.

I got one of these made up for the SC outlet pipe:

But simply putting a round bit of metal in there between the hose and outlet to ABV would suffice.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
ulysess1966

Link to a picture of vacuum lines

Post by ulysess1966 »

Been searching the posts for info on the ABV as I'm making a blanking plate up next week for mine. Thing is the vacuum lines have been messed about with more than once and I'm wondering if there's a link to the diagram for the original arrangement of the lines somewhere or could someone tell me if it is in the BGB and what page (I'm using a tablet computer and the PDF reader is hard to use).

Ta muchly

Glenn
cartledge_uk

Post by cartledge_uk »

I'm having problmes linking it at the moment. but if you google image search 'mr2 supercharger abv vaccum' the diagram should come up in the first few pictures :thumleft:
ulysess1966

ABV

Post by ulysess1966 »

Thanks for the tip, I found it and a few other ones. The lines on my car don't match any of them which might explain why I've never been able to get above 10 psi with the oversize pulley. I'm going to take the throttle body off and have a good look at the ABV tomorrow and re-fill the SC with oil while I'm at it.

All the best and thanks.
greglebon

Post by greglebon »

Tim..are you still pressing on with the 'charger, then...!? :thumleft:
ulysess1966

ABV blanking plate

Post by ulysess1966 »

Well that was the best mod ever!

I took the ABV off last Thursday night and made up a blanking plate from the lid of a Roses sweet tin and now I'm getting 12 PSI (0.8 bar) boost instead of 10 PSI. That has to be the cheapest upgrade ever and the car is going like a rocket.

I've changed the vacuum pipes back to the stock layout as well and that seems to have improved the wobbly idle a bit.

I changed the supercharger oil while I had the ABV out because that's another fiddly job best done with stuff out of the way.

G.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”