Alternator Noise

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

andyg1978

Alternator Noise

Post by andyg1978 »

Hi - first of all sorry for the general vague-ness of this query.

I'm getting a whine from the rear drivers side of my engine, which I think is alternator related.
The whine is noticeable when idling and changes pitch when the revs are increased.

I know its not much to go on, but does this sound like its the alternator or the belt?

If its the alternator, is it best to replace it or can you change the brushes? Do I even need to change it if it is still charging the battery?

How would I know if its the oval plug or not as well?

Should have said at the start its on a Rev 3 Tubby.

Any help/advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: Alternator Noise

Post by toxo »

Could be bearings, which can fail through age or an over-tightened belt. Can be ordered separately from Toyota and rebuilt yourself if you're feeling brave (and you've got a bearing puller). If you go down that route it would be advisable to do the brushes and regulator as well.

Check the tension of the belt first (you should be able to grip the belt with your thumb and forefinger and turn it quarter of a turn by hand, so from - to | if that makes sense). Easy access if you take off the undertray that covers the oil filter.

Rev3 turbo will be 90A oval plug. Pattern replacements can be had, but their reliability is questionable! They're available from Toyota, last time I checked they were £388 + VAT!!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

i have an oval plug one off a rev4 NA (not sure if the same current rating though) its in the 4 sale section - cheap too
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I had a squeaking noise coming from my alt, when the engine started you could hear it. A weeks later my alt failed.

I'd say buy one in the near future, it's probably gonna fail soon.
andyg1978

Post by andyg1978 »

Thanks for the tips and advice - very helpful as always :)
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

I had the whining noise when I bought my NA - drove around like that for about 6 months, before changing the alternator - the housing was cracked. It was still running fine, but I preferred to change it anyway.
While it doesn't mean it will die tomorrow, it's always good to change it, they're not overly expensive (try tcbparts.co.uk for that).
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”