[Mk2] [Turbo] uprated valve springs

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2c8cya

[Mk2] [Turbo] uprated valve springs

Post by mr2c8cya »

im looking to do a fresh head as a spare and not sure what valve springs to go with, I have a fresh rev3 head ported and polished with ferrera 1mm oversize valves piper cams the rpm limit is 8500rpm any sugestions welcome
Shmed

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] uprated valve springs

Post by Shmed »

Piper?

That's what I went with using rev 3 head and Piper TOYSGBP285's.

Not got OS valves though, but do expect to rev upto about 8 - 8.5k

I went for single springs as dual requires some more head work I believe.
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Mike N

cam it

Post by Mike N »

You should consult the cam manufacturer for the correct spring poundage rate for that specific cam and use rev 3 followers.
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

there 270 degree cams i have been looking at brian crower springs are they any good?
Fourveesix

Re: cam it

Post by Fourveesix »

Mike N wrote:You should consult the cam manufacturer for the correct spring poundage rate for that specific cam and use rev 3 followers.

As above.
Minimum spring rate to control the valve under its operating conditions is whats required.
Excessive rates means valvetrain wear and parasitic losses ( drag) which lowers engine power.
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Ring Piper, they're very helpful on the phone, and their springs aren't too expensive either.
January 2014

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

I've bought a set of uprated valve springs new from brian crower which are the same as the HKS ones but cheaper. IIRC i paid £160 for them.

I'm the same, rebuilding the head with 1mm over sized valves and HKS 264 cams and cam gears. Port and gask flowed head.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I hope you are all opening up the throats and cutting back the valve seats when you fit the bigger valves.
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
sjm1984

Post by sjm1984 »

bobhatton wrote:I hope you are all opening up the throats and cutting back the valve seats when you fit the bigger valves.

+1

And dont do the costly mistake momentum motorsport did.

6 of the intake valves were leaking and 2 exhaust valves were also leaking. Seems they just took them out of the box and just grinded them into the head ](*,)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Valves and seats have to be cut, you do not grind in the valves on this engine
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

I thought that most spring upgrades were just 'snappier' springs, rather than the physical dimensions being different?! I'm more than likely wrong though.

I haven't had my head modded to take my piper single springs, but was advised (by Piper) that if I were to use the double springs, I'd have no choice.
January 2014

May 2015

Still in the garage...
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

[quote="Shmed"]Ring Piper, they're very helpful on the phone, and their springs aren't too expensive either.[/quote

yes i will do in the morning see what they suggest
Fourveesix

Post by Fourveesix »

bobhatton wrote:I hope you are all opening up the throats and cutting back the valve seats when you fit the bigger valves.

Not to mention fitting larger valve seat inserts as just boring thru them (seen that before) can make them crack if theyre too thin.
Lots of work.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

ATS do a nice set of uprated springs, i have a set in mine -not tested them yet tho as the car is still in bits however i know ats and co are using them with good results out in the USA. The springs are about 10mm taller than the stock rev3 springs and do feel a lot stiffer if you press on them.

Btw, be careful what oversize valves you use! I hear of a lot of people having serious issues with ferra 6000 series due to a whole batch leaving the factory without heat treatment!
mr2c8cya

Post by mr2c8cya »

i'm waiting on a email back from ats on springs, oh no i think its the 6000 series i have!
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

tarmac terrorist

Post by tarmac terrorist »

i run standard size ferrera valves with HKS valve springs on HKS 272 intake cam & 264 exhaust cam :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”