[Mk2] [Generic] New head unit only stays on for one second!

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

OwenK

[Mk2] [Generic] New head unit only stays on for one second!

Post by OwenK »

1994 rev3 car I think with the premium sound pack, BUT the connector behind the dash is 15 pin, not 14.

At some point a previous owner has hacked the xxxx out of the wiring behind the dash to directly wire ISO connectors in rather than using an adapter. However when I plugged in my new headunit it wouldn't turn on. I spent about two hours checking the diagrams and rewiring into a new connector block (each wire had about 3 joins in it between old connector and new one so I figured one might be broken somewhere), and now the head unit turns on, but only for 1 second then turns off again and won't respond. The turning on happens as soon as I plug in the connector, OR if I press the little reset button on the HU (the sort of thing you have to press with a little pin).

Does anyone have any ideas? The fact that it seems to power up OK suggests to me my wiring is correct or it wouldn't work at all, and the fact that it's happy to do it whenever you press the units reset button as well, so surely it's getting the right power from the car - which leads me to think maybe the unit itself is broken and I need to get a replacement. But is there any chance this behaviour could come from a wrong connection instead?
SonicSW20

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] New head unit only stays on for one second!

Post by SonicSW20 »

Can you plug it into another car temporarily to see if it works properly in there?
reggie

Post by reggie »

To get a headunit to power up, you only need 12v at the red and yellow power cables and ground at the black cables. Check the volvatges with a multimeter (or bulb). Typically, red is constant power and yellow is switch power (only live with the ignition on).

Once that's all set up, you can turn your attention to all of the other wires :shock:
Xhermes

Post by Xhermes »

Is there a wiring diagram of a active system plug? I have a headunit I want to get that doesnt have the RCA's in the back..
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Xhermes wrote:Is there a wiring diagram of a active system plug? I have a headunit I want to get that doesnt have the RCA's in the back..

That simply won't work, unless you use a device for converting high output to low output (i.e. converting amplified, speaker outputs to non amplified, rca preouts) which almost always results in rubbish sound quality.

Get a better head unit or bypass the amps by running new speaker wire directly from your head unit to the speakers in the doors.

Wiring info is here: http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... highlight=
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!

Return to “Electrical”