My 2

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

leenjenna

My 2

Post by leenjenna »

Hi all,

Have made a few posts after very recently joining, managed to get some pictures uploaded of the progress so far.

Bought a Red Mk2 3S-FE on a 91 plate, totally stock apart from the alloys. Bought as seen, which was blowing backbox and 2 illegal rear tyres - £300. (Now found out needs new clutch - Great!!)

Bought a mix of parts from Ebay, bodykit (although bit of a mismatch of designs) single exit backbox, rear lights and K&N cone filter £250 total.

So the idea is to remove the standard kit and fit the new one, fit exhaust and new lights and MOT for a bit of summer fun. My brother is chief sprayer at his garage and will do me full respray in Red (to save doing shuts, engine bag etc) for price of paint, thinners, hardener, booth time and a box of 380 discs - £250.

New Mot and tax and then Fun Fun Fun!

So enough rambling, so far have taken front and rear bumper off (what a pain the front was to get off - those pesky bolts on the wings) and got a couple of pictures of the car and bits so far.

My2
Back
New rear bumper (supposedly Veilside and in not so nice green)
The new exhaust
Vader spoiler (not to keen on it so may go without one)
Rear lights (dont know if legal or not)

More pics as I progress.

Cheers

Lee
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Re: My 2

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Well for 300 quid as a project you cant go wrong can ya! I had an FE for my first 2, in blue, on an H plate aswell. I didnt mod it as it was a daily driver, sold it when it hit 130k on the clock and bought a Tubby.

Once you get it looking nice and kitted up and the sun is shining with the moonroof put in the front trunk it will be fun! Keep us updated. :thumleft:
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Meant to say, the tinted rear lights should probably fail an M.O.T unless the tester isnt bothered, you might want a standard set to whack on for the test.
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Hi,

Quick update for you. Side vents are now off and test fitted the replacement skirts - near enough spot on fitment just waiting on my Tigerseal to arrive and going to rivet and seal on the car. Had to fab some tabs onto the skirt as previous owner had broken them so had no fixing points.

Sorry for darkness, blame my Blackberry.

Front End

Side vents off

Testfitting

More test fitting

More updates to follow.

Cheers

Lee
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

well done nice little project..
the lights should pas if you put on a seperate reflector..
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

What kind of seperate reflector Pete? I mean could you get just a stick on or what? I could do with doing that, I`ve read as long as the lights come through and is showing the correct colour, and you have a Kitemark / E approved reflector on the rear of the vehicle, you should be ok? I`m not sure?

Law seems a bit hazy on it! I know for deffo if the light is tinted completely over the reflector parts then its an m.o.t fail, reflector must show I was told. Had to buy some old lights from the scrappy and take it back with them on.
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Isnt the reflector the triangular piece that you pull off to access to the 2 screws to remove the lights, if so the standard reflector fits the same as the black ones that will be on the car. When I removed the lights there was no bulb in this section so made the assumption this was the reflector.

Lee
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Yeah i guess you could try just putting the standard orange reflector triangles on with the blacked out lights, see if they say its ok. I just bought a whole new set and switch the lot over when i need to.

Those skirts look a good fit, what front bumper have you gone for veilside aswell?
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Unfortunatley no, the guy I got the Sides and Rear off had left the front bumper outside his house overnight and someone walked off with it. So I have a Border one going on instead, not ideal match up but im not overly fussed. Also decied to go spoilerless, the Vader spoiler really doesnt do it for me!!

Rear bumper fit seems a bit off even though it came directly off another MR2, think the crash guard bit is going to have to come off, and in regards to the lights I have the standard ones in the boot and luckily its only a 2minute job to change them over so although my MOT guy wont pick me up on them, maybe a safe bet for the feds!

Lee
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Cool I think you will be as well without the veilside front anyway, damn low and awkward once the front splitter is on! :lol:
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Hi all,

Quick upate on how things have been going - very slowly im afraid as the 10mile drive to workshop proving to be a pain on any day except day off. Anyway...most of the car sanded down now, front bumper left to do, bought off ebay after original owner had hit a badger and repaired which then cracked when fitting. Need to grind out the cracks and fill, then primer will go on and final rub down before paint.

Few Pics of car - the excess amount of sanding in pictures is due to poor lacquer requiring 240 pads then 320 over top hence the bare metal in places (etch primed to prevent rust). Sideskirts, rear bumper and wing rubbed down and ready to go.

Also got a set of R1 throttle bodies for nothing so may be fitting them at a later date.

Cheers

Lee
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Small update:

Car has been masked and primed, gone over with 320 Rhino to flat out blemishes. Next step is bit of stopper and had to skim in 2 places which now need sanding, then painting will commence. Super Red II (Chilli) is colour im going, Crimson Red is tiny bit dark for me.

Pictures very dark as Blackberry doesnt have a flash (WHY?)

Anyway hopefully in the next couple of days I will have some pictures (will use digital camera this time) of my 2 painted and then with all bits re-assembled.

Cheers

Lee
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

So...Today she was painted, few pics of the car after bake.

Re-assembly starts soon. And new wheels im thinking (or a refurb/spray)

Lee
craig

Post by craig »

Nice paintwork mate! Coming along nicely :thumleft:
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

that looks like a really good finish

front bumper looks like a SARD , definitely not a Border

Still think the MR2 looks better with a spoiler
craig

Post by craig »

Yeah the bumper is SARD, had one on my previous MR2. Looks genuine too :thumleft:
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Bumper was bought off a guy who had hit a badger in it and repaired (bodged) WHilst fitting front indicators I have put a little crack in (boohoo)

Anyway, most bits back on now just exhaust to go, heres a few pics. Lights are too heavily tinted so will have to be changed (anyone tried Lamin-X???)

New wheels are on the wishlist, probably black 17"s maybe with the red rim (oooeeer)
kayjay0_7

Post by kayjay0_7 »

leenjenna wrote:
New wheels are on the wishlist, probably black 17"s maybe with the red rim (oooeeer)

:-$ mmm I know of a set that may be available shortly
leenjenna

Post by leenjenna »

Interesting..... :pray:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

I like the red exhaust pipes. You could have started a new trend there.

If I were you though, I wouldnt paint the brake discs red.

:lol:

Looks good, so you spent so far, £300 on the car, £250 on bits & £250 on a spray job = £800?

I doubt you'd get anything for £800 looking like that so bargain.

Start saving for an engine swap next :thumleft:

Return to “Member Profiles”