oil sump leak

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pcfc

oil sump leak

Post by pcfc »

Can anyone help I've just found 2 pin holes weeping oil on my sump of my 1996 mr2. Can this be patched or will it need a new sump ? I was changing oil as thought filter or plug was source of oil on drive but whilst doing this found the 2 tiny holes under bit of rust, I only imagine this will worsen, any help appreciated.
frogger

Re: oil sump leak

Post by frogger »

If it's really a pinhole leak then clean everything up very well with some brake fluid / solvent. Then give it a go with some liquid metal type stuff, and if it holds you've saved a bit of effort swapping it out...

If you want to do it properly then of course a proper replacement would be on the cards... but I'd probably go with the first route, if it doesn't work you've only lost out on a few pennies worth of gunk.
:)
pcfc

Post by pcfc »

yeah think thats the way forward going to give it a go tommorrow and hopefully it will hold been trying to find a new sump on-line with little luck and I dare not think how much toyota will charge for one !
pcfc

Post by pcfc »

well after trying to patch up the hole with some e metal I have finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new one from toyota the bargain price of 150 of the finest english sterling but at least it should last a while !!! The patch lasted for a few days but wasn't good enough long term repair.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”