Advice wanted

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nightfire

Advice wanted

Post by Nightfire »

Morning all. I have a bit of a dilemma

Cut a long story short I have owned my rev3 now for almost 2 years and I have only covered about 100 miles in it and it has been parked up for 18 month #-o

It initially came off the road to sort out a massive oil leak wich turned out to be the sump so that was replaced and also I have to sort the p/s fault in to wich I know what is wrong now. However now it needs new brakes as they have now corroded and It won't surprise me that the calipers are probaly sized. Also the cambelt wants replacing by time

Now I have the hankering for a bit of forced induction. Would it make sense to have my n/a converted to 3s gte? And how much would this cost?

I have sentimental attachment to mine and it has some nice mods too :lol:

What do we think?
wiggee

Re: Advice wanted

Post by wiggee »

plenty of conversions about but really bette roff stripping your mods and buying a gt-s and installing your fav mods there in my opinion . :thumleft: or get a v6 conversion .
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

as above
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

couple options unfortunately :> Converting your existing car has the benefit of knowing the chassis, suspension, bodywork state, and so on. Buying a used turbo car is always a bit of a gamble which we all know :) V6 is another route, but I've given up on that idea aftger serious consideration - the only sensible one if you want POWERRR to get is the 2GR engine ($$$$$$$$$), the 1mz or 3vz will have you wanting more quick (again this is personal opinion, after taken for a ride in a couple turbo cars i'm addicted to that wonderful torque wall coming down on your chest when a turbo spools up)
On the other hand, cost of buying a decent turbo clip + conversion cost will be probably a bit more than what you can get a whole car for... choices, choices... personally I'm looking for a rev3 turbo from a forum member, then you know usually they will be well looked after, but cost a bit more, and selling my NA to a friend who wants to get into a mid engined car cheap.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

have you looked into insurance quotes if you convert from n/a to turbo?
Nightfire

Post by Nightfire »

Hmm I think you may be right.

I looked into a v6 conversion in the past and didn't really want to go down that route to be honest

Also for reasons unknown to me the gts is cheaper for me to insure than my also imported rev3 na :-s

Looks like I will be Looking for a gts now :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”