Is it just me or............

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

N9THX

Is it just me or............

Post by N9THX »

................does the MR2 still look like it's from the future?
The styling could easily be from something Ferrari put out next year.
Think it's the main reason I'm on my 5th one :-)
John145

Re: Is it just me or............

Post by John145 »

The mk2 mr2 has aged the best out all 3 variants in my opinion, so can see where you're coming from, but wouldn't call it futuristic!
Racer7

Post by Racer7 »

funny. i was thinking similar things just today.

i wouldn't call it futuristic but I think it still cuts it with many of the modern cars today - maybe not quite agressive enough in the lines like say a new TT or z4 but still 'modern'.

I saw a Merc SLK probs around 99 plate and thought 'that has aged badly'. Caught my eye as I remember thinking 'right after my MR2 thats my next car'. Now I think the MR2 looks fresher than the SLK!
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

I don't think they look modern but then I don't think a car has to look modern to look good. I've tried to make mine look older. 2s just look good.

R.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

it's a classic now really...transcends modernity. The Japanese are very good at nicking lines and looks from other cars and re-hashing them into something else...mk1 and mk2 are both really good looking cars...not got love for the mk3 though...yet.
craig

Post by craig »

I wouldn't say the MK2 looks modern, but still looks good :thumleft:
Demoman

Post by Demoman »

It's a quite modern shaped car with some adjustments ;).
Shaving the sides and doors.. 3rd brake light mod and the Rev6 headlight update :)

The pop-up headlights give it's age away
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Well the MK2 looks was based on a Ferrari. Its looks ok still but this is the first and only one i will ever own.

When it dies, i will take great pleasure in ripping it to bits and cutting up to :) but this will be quite a way off yet as i have totally rebuilt the thing over the last 2 years :-(

I came into own the MR2 after leaving German cars and the build quality differences between them is gigantic ...... German engineering wins hands down.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Everytime i tell someone my car is twenty years old they are always astonished. I think its aged really well and still looks the nuts!

I'm going to say it and i'll probably get owned for it but the Mk3 is truly awful. Everytime i see it, i almost shudder. I can't believe Toyota got the Mk3 so incredibly wrong. There's not a line i like on it. This is of course my opinion so i don't expect everyone to agree.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

mr2turbo99 wrote:Everytime i tell someone my car is twenty years old they are always astonished. I think its aged really well and still looks the nuts!

I'm going to say it and i'll probably get owned for it but the Mk3 is truly awful. Everytime i see it, i almost shudder. I can't believe Toyota got the Mk3 so incredibly wrong. There's not a line i like on it. This is of course my opinion so i don't expect everyone to agree.

Totally 100% agree with you on that one. Awful, ugly, low powered wannabe sports car its even worse is when you see a man driving it LOL
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I dont like the look of the standard one but the MK3 looks pretty nice with a hardtop. Also lowered and with some nicer wheels.

Also its arguably the best handling of the bunch, just because its not got 9million horsepower doesnt mean its a bad car.
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Its a let down because its associated with the MR2 brand. If it had been a Toyota XXXX then i would perhaps be more forgiving. I think what im trying to say is that it doesn't deserve to be assoicated with the MK2
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

mr2turbo99 wrote:Its a let down because its associated with the MR2 brand. If it had been a Toyota XXXX then i would perhaps be more forgiving. I think what im trying to say is that it doesn't deserve to be assoicated with the MK2

correct :thumleft: They should have just called it the Toyota Roadster
mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Race Idiot wrote:I dont like the look of the standard one but the MK3 looks pretty nice with a hardtop. Also lowered and with some nicer wheels.

Also its arguably the best handling of the bunch, just because its not got 9million horsepower doesnt mean its a bad car.

Powers not the problem

The fact it has to be modified though to look half decent is a no no from the start. Sure my cars modified but thats because i enjoy doing it not because i want to change the appearance. Ok the Rev1 didn't look great but a Rev 3/4/5 untouched looked great the minute it rolled out the factory
Marf

Post by Marf »

The biggest problem with the Mk3 IMO is its utter lack of practicality.

Compared to a Mk2 its measly storage space is laughable!
pbmr2

Post by pbmr2 »

had a play in a mk3 yesterday.. only my 3rd time in one but god it was nasty. very soft and rolly with just bucket loads of understeer.
try and flick it in to counter the front slide and the short wheel base works aginst you.

tried to grip drive it and the front just won't hold like i can get my mk2 (standard) to hold. very little feel in the steering too.. might have been the real problem.. not being able to feel what the hell was going on before i could see it happening.

couple that with looks i just can't learn to love.. sorry, not a fan.
DAN_REV1_TURBO

Post by DAN_REV1_TURBO »

Ok the Rev1 didn't look great but a Rev 3/4/5 untouched looked great the minute it rolled out the factory

Hang on... lol.. The original MK2 rolled out looking pretty damn sweet, and I think quite a few prefer the original spoiler/lights and look of the rev1. :thumleft:
RST

Post by RST »

I had a simlar thought last week as I took mine for a drive down to the office for a week proper after winter after it being parked up since November. It was no fun I can tell you! The weather forecast looked ok, I drove down fine but drove in from my weekday digs into the office on 15 miles of pure ice!! Passed so many motors skidded off, mine was all over the place -just reminded me how controllable the MR2 is. It's off the road agin now for a few weeks till it warms up proper.

I was looking at mine in the office car park and it looks nothing like anything else. There is one other person who has a rev SMG 5N/A I but with anything but the rev 1/2 spoiler the MR2 just looks a tad out of place at the back. The lines are just about spot on on the rev 1/2, I dunno what Toyota thought with the rev 3+. I was also looking at it's rear clusters and thinking -round plug in a square hole. rev 1/2 rear clusters suit the back end so much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like the other marques -and believe me our work is full of more exotic cars bit I still think the SW20 is one of the most pleasing shapes of many of them.

Top gear had the new McLaren on it a few weeks ago and they said it looked boring and I thought it looked one of the best cars ever! It doesn't have all the pig-ugly shizzle folk these days want chrome plated and slapped on it so I guess it's boring and dated.

I just wish we can go back to styling as it was 10-15 years ago. New stuff is just horrid from any perspective. Progress does not mean better!
Last edited by RST on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Just gonna agree...
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

no..no..no..no..your all wrong..lololol.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”