Lauren's AE86. Pics on page 13.

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pk_090

Re: Lauren's AE86. Pics on page 13.

Post by pk_090 »

if you want to get rid of that trouble some manifold lauren =P~

I bought some waxoil the other day, was planning to get it done before now, but obbiously not! looks mint underneith!
Alex
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

elbon50 wrote:
Should perform rather well with the SC engine Lauren ?

Peter

It'll go pretty well I'd say given it's relative light weight. SC engine is only running a Blitz pulley, IME it will produce 170bhp and about the same amount of torque.

@Alex, what manifold do you mean?
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

the troublesome exhaust manifold that melded the dizzy cap :)
platmatt8 wrote:Lauren has got bigger balls than most men on this site

charged wrote:Mine's probably screaming 'stop raping me' :D
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

pk_090 wrote:the troublesome exhaust manifold that melded the dizzy cap :)

That won't be any use to you, plus I need an exhaust manifold anyway and it's the only one I've got.

We'll just wrap it properly, that'll sort it. :+:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Not cheap is it!
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Nope but it's probably a lot better for the health of your manifold than exhaust wrap.

Is the manifold stainless or mild steel?
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Agree it probably is better! Manifold is just mild steel, so I know there is a risk of rust with heat wrap, especially on the downpipes, as I've already seen them steaming after going through a few puddles!

Biggest issue I've got is retaining the AC and PAS as the GZE requires that the alternator is mounted below the AC compressor. There is a strong chance the alternator will foul on the ARB. I am also going to have to source (think I've already found them) an AC compressor, PAS with pump and bracket for an AE92 as the AC compressor has a double drive pulley to drive the PAS. Is a royal PITA.
Marf

Post by Marf »

You know it makes sense.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Lauren won't get that :lol:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
craig

Post by craig »

Marf wrote:Image

You know it makes sense.

LOL Marf :clap: :lol: :lol:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

toxo wrote:Lauren won't get that :lol:

DING, no idea what that's all about!
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Just for info Lauren i'm carrying out a GZE into Sprinter Trueno swap in about 3 months time, if you haven't got it fitted by then i'll be happy to share any swap obstacles we come across, should be a formality though.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Thanks Paul. Just to clarify are you talking about swopping into an AE86 or the FWD 'Trueno'.

My biggest issues are keeping the power steering and the aircon. I am almost tempted to ditch the AC (which is a crying shame as I've paid money to get it working well) but it's the power steering pump that is the problem. I'm still trying to source parts and have had offers from Ireland, though unfortunately as a general rule of thumb it doesn't seem possible to ship out of Ireland.

I'm far more worried about getting the ancillaries working as the alternator is going to hit the ARB from what I can work out. Royal PITA. Also need to convert the thermostat with some extra piping if I want to use the brand new OEM waterpump on the GZE. Otherwise I could fit the AE86 one with the viscous fan.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes it's an AE86, a real minter by all accounts but i have yet to see it. We discussed all options such as V6, 3s-gte, 20v, 2zz etc but the GZE seemed the logical choice keeping it as close to the original as possible.

We will work out the solutions for everything, carried out much harder swaps than this so even if it means relocating a few things, making new carrier brackets for PS/AC etc there will be an answer to it.

If i have to modify anything to that extreme i'll make a jig for the custom part so it can be replicated, i might have to do another one day myself, but let's wait and see what we're faced with first.

If the viscous fan proves a problem then we will go electric with a switch in the cooling system somewhere, might do that anyway as it's neater.

I'll start a build thread somewhere when the time comes.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Ooh that's interesting. Wonder if it's someone I know?

I agree it's not the most difficult swop in the world. In terms PAS/AC will depend if your customer has those things on their car. It's a whole lot easier if they haven't.

You can keep the viscous fan, that's not a problem. The AE86 thermostat housing is different from the FWD Toyotas. Obviously you can still go electric, but if you want to keep the FWD waterpump, you need to do a bit of DIY pipework, but again, no bid issue really.

The throttle inlet needs spinning 180 degrees too, but I doubt that'd trouble you!

I will obviously do a thread on here. I've got a load of links to other's conversions, thread here:

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=90711
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

His name is Andrew Beattie from Lockerbie, i had a quick scan of that build thread, seems to have been done on somewhat of a shoestring, there were several things i don't really approve of, much better cleaner ways to do it, but hats off to him.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Depends whether he's on the forums, not much chance of bumping into him if he's that far north. Yes, that conversion was done on a budget. Tbh think I'd rather use the AE86 water pump as you get the outlet from the thermostat in the correct place.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Mark has had a brilliant idea (Tom wishes he'd thought of it)! We are looking to put the alternator where the idler is on the SC side, so it'd go below the supercharger.

Looks like there is a small denso alternator that will do the job, is a racing one with a 50A output (stock is 60), but this thing is tiny. Might need a bigger battery. A bigger alternator pulley will be needed and it'll be running on the outside of the belt. Hopefully a bigger pulley will help prevent slip and provide more area for the belt to grip. It's a bit experimental, but it is a great solution if it works.

This will mean no messing about with my existing PAS and AC (which all works fine) we can just bolt it to the new engine.

Tom is able to make brackets to spec and we do have access getting stuff laser cut too.

In other related news, Mark has done the deal on his new premises and looks to be moving in a bit sooner than we expected. :+:

We still have some potential issues with regard to where to run the intercooler piping, though we'll nip over to where we've stored the car today and have a better look as it may be that the drier pipework for the AC is in the way.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Relocating the alternator is something we have had to do a lot in the past on various swaps, it's fairly straight forward and will indeed sort any clearance issues, although the relocation itself will present a few more other problems, so i'll be trying to make the stock location work first.

I have permission to bin the AC if need be but i'd really like to keep that to make it all "stock"

Return to “Member Profiles”