Wiring an FIA Kill switch

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig_mr2_mk1

Wiring an FIA Kill switch

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

I've brought a FIA aproved kill switch to wire into my. Rev 3 turbo, I understand how to wire in the battery terminal but I believe there's another wire or more that have to be wiring to it otherwise the alternator will keep the engine running?
If someone could tell me which wire or wires need connecting too the switch that would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Craig.
Rogue

Re: Wiring an FIA Kill switch

Post by Rogue »

The two main connection points for the power are pretty self explanatory, but you MUST make a note of which cable leads directly to the battery, and which one connects to the rest of the loom. This will be important later on.

The other four connections correspond to a normally open and a normally closed circuit. The circuit that is closed when the switch is in the "On" position is for the vehicle's ignition circuit. You will need to locate this in the loom, cut it and connect each end of the wire to one of the two connectors. Now when the switch is rotated to the "Off" position the ignition circuit is broken and the engine switches off - just the same as turning the ignition key.

The circuit that is open when the switch is set to "On" is used for the ballast resistor. One of the terminals should be connected to one of the points on the resistor and the other point on the resistor to a suitable ground. The remaining terminal needs to be linked to the thick power cable that supplies the rest of the car - NOT THE CABLE TO THE BATTERY. This protects the vehicle from any power surge when the power is cut. (If you get this the wrong way round rotating the switch to the "Off" position will connect the battery live to ground resulting in at least smoke, if not fire or explosion. You have been warned!)
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Thanks for that Patrick, very informing reply. I don't suppose you know which colour wires they are do you to save me some time?

Craig
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

craig_mr2_mk1 wrote:Thanks for that Patrick, very informing reply. I don't suppose you know which colour wires they are do you to save me some time?

The ignition circuit you want to cut is black with an orange stripe and located near the ignition barrel.
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Brilliant, I'll give that ago shortly then.
Thanks very much.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Could someone answer this for me as I haven't got a wiring diagram for the Rev 3 turbo.

I am looking for the ignition wire to chop for a kill switch. The white cable on the top left of the picture is connected on the ignition switch side to a black cable with a red stripe.

There's another black cable which has a yellow stripe connected by the yellow connector.

There's a little black wire with a brown stripe.

Which is the correct one to cut?

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Black with an orange stripe, shown on the left of your photo. You can prove it out by cutting it (with your snips) while the engine is running.
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

Thanks very much Patrick, much appreciated
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Mega old thread I know, but shows I'm using the search function :)

When wiring a kill switch and mounting it on the dash, do I need to extend the main lead from the battery into the cabin?

As I ask the question it sounds obvious...

What gauge cable should I use?
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Shmed wrote:When wiring a kill switch and mounting it on the dash, do I need to extend the main lead from the battery into the cabin?

Yes

Shmed wrote:What gauge cable should I use?

Same as main battery cable.

You could on the other hand Google Cartek and do away with the old style switch same as me and Ash have done.
ashley

Post by ashley »

Amen

http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/tech-info.html

I've gone for the XS, very neat piece of kit and isolates ground from the battery instead of live :thumleft:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

ashley wrote:Amen

http://www.cartekmotorsport.com/tech-info.html

I've gone for the XS, very neat piece of kit and isolates ground from the battery instead of live :thumleft:

Very neat, but also very expensive.... Think I'll sort a few other things before buying one of those :)
January 2014
..the only thing I can promise for sure is slow progress.

May 2015
just have this niggling thought that if I rip out the wiring, then the car will never get out of the garage again.

Still in the garage...

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”