[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox work. Possible?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

abovetherim

[Mk2] [NA] Gearbox work. Possible?

Post by abovetherim »

Hi guys
I have not worked on a gearbox before so don't laugh if this seems like a silly question.
How easy is it to remove the bell housing end of the casing as mine has a hole to the inards courtesy off an exploding clutch (prior to my ownership).
Before i took the box out it would select all gears fine and when drained, the fluid was clear. Now i could go thro the case swap and fit it and find the box is a dud but hopefully not.

This is also assuming i can find someone willing to sell me their knackered box (or at least the bell housing) for cheap.

regards
Jan :bball: (i used to be a baller when i was young and fit)
Lewis Jay

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox work. Possible?

Post by Lewis Jay »

Hi mate,

Once the box is off its fairly easy to take the casing off and then strip.

Also, I have a N/A casing available along with some other bits from a knackered box. :thumleft:
abovetherim

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Gearbox work. Possible?

Post by abovetherim »

Lewis Jay wrote:Hi mate,

Once the box is off its fairly easy to take the casing off and then strip.

Also, I have a N/A casing available along with some other bits from a knackered box. :thumleft:

Thank you Lewis Jay.
For fun i'm gonna take the casing appart to see. I say for fun as i posted a wanted ad burnt out starter as that also has a bust casing, and i got a working box and starter for £70 so although more than i wanted to pay for a casing it was a bargain none the less. Also nowing my luck i'd have screwed up trying to swap casings on the boxes anyway.

I will make a mental note that you have casing if this box dies on me.
It's also a thought that i may do it anyway as it seems a shame if the rest of the box workings are good not to refurb it.

Thanks again
Jan

Return to “Mechanical”