MR2 car cover

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Wingers

MR2 car cover

Post by Wingers »

Has anyone got one?
Where from and is it any good.

I'm fd up of having my car cr@pped on all the time while it's sat in the car park without an engine.
I must have washed it 3-4 times since I last drove it now. grrr

I had a quick look and there is a £35 pound one at Halfords, or a £135 one at coveryourcar.co.uk but I don't know if it's worth that much more.

Ideally someone would have tried the nice cheap halfords one and could let me know what they think of it.

Cheers,

Wingers
Wingers

Re: MR2 car cover

Post by Wingers »

in fact there are some on fleabay too. £25 by the looks of it...
Moo

Post by Moo »

I went for a custom made cover from coveryourcar.co.uk, the Advan-Tex one, tailored to fit my bodykit. Cost me £240 but at the time I'd just had a respray and wanted something decent to keep my paint in good order. I can highly recommend that cover and have also heard good reports about the one you were looking at, the Monsoon cover.

I think with the car covers it's definitely a case of buy cheap get cheap. Prior to my respray I used a cheapo cover that wasn't breathable and didn't have a soft inner lining. It rubbed the paint away on the corner of each bumper where it was constantly moving about in the wind and also didn't let condensation out so the water kept pooling on the roof. This water then got baked when the sun came out and trashed the laquer on the roof.

I guess anything over £100 for a cover cover sounds a lot to most people but it's a case of how much do you like your paintwork?

Cheap covers = cheap material and manufacture = poor protection = fubared paint.
Wingers

Post by Wingers »

That's pretty much what I figured so bought the Monsoon one in the end.
I don't like paying more for no good reason but it did seem that there was a lot more quality on offer for the price.

I can't see me selling the car for years (if ever) and if I'm going to keep it for a long time then £150 isn't really the end of the world.
Considering I've probably spend 100 times that on the rest of the car it kind of puts it into perspective.

Cheers for the reply.

Wingers
Moo

Post by Moo »

That was pretty much the same reasoning I had when buying my cover. Well worth the money imo. The quality is first rate, you won't be disappointed :thumleft:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”