Distributorless Ignition (COP) for Power FC/Gen3 ECU

Forum For IMOC Group Buys

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

^Trickster^

Re: Distributorless Ignition (COP) for Power FC/Gen3 ECU

Post by ^Trickster^ »

I am pretty interested in this actually, Im running a power FC with a gt3076r and im looking at a GT35R

could be the ignition upgrade i need

Graeme
^Trickster^

Post by ^Trickster^ »

What happened with this, its gone quiet!
Graeme
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Yeah alot of interest but few buyers, seems like its only the aussies that have the guts to try this out ;)

just kidding! :)
flynace

Post by flynace »

Would this kit still work with a J&S SafeGuard installed?
Thanks
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

That is a knock device right?
I would assume it will still work as my kit distributes the spark to each coil, it doesnt modify the ignition signals at all, its all up to the ecu to advance/retard the timing. If the safeguard retards the oem ignition signal when it detects knock then it will retard the timing on all cylinders.

Does that answer your question?
flynace

Post by flynace »

Yeah, the J&S is a knock sensor.
It can retard either per cylinder, or all cylinders at the same time.
It intercepts and uses the stock ignition signals, so I am sure it is compatible.
Thanks
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Thanks for the payment flynace :)
flynace

Post by flynace »

Would the Okada Projects Coils (part # SD204041R) work with this kit?

Their website lists them as being 3S-GTE compatible

www okadaprojects.com/cgi-bin/lineup_car_maker.cgi?select_maker=TOYOTA

Sorry - I am not allowed to post URLs so you'll have to fix the link...
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Those are coils with built in igniter (the newest 3sgte, toyota caldina etc). You can use them but then you dont need the supra igniter and you will get slight problems with the IGF signal that the ecu needs to keep sending ignition signals to the coils and you will also loose the tacho signal that the supra igniter provides for the tacho meter.. everything is possible to solve but its not the best way. Those coils are also pretty expensive.

I would suggest to just get the okada project plasma booster for the CBR600RR coils, way cheaper. Or if you want the expensive route, get these:

http://www.okadaprojects.com/p_pd_motorcycle.html

Im 95% surtain the lenght is right :)

/Jimmy
flynace

Post by flynace »

Thanks, I wasn't grasping the built in igniters.

What is the difference between the Plasma Booster and the Plasma Lift?

Do you recommend any supplemental ignition bits for your kit?
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Plasma lift as i understand it just raises the input voltage (adjustable). Like from 14V to 18V or similar.

What do you mean with supplemental stuff.. im not from uk or us so you lost me there :)
flynace

Post by flynace »

Is there any benefit to running a Plasma Lift, Plasma Booster or simialr device (HKS TwinPower, KB BAS, etc.)?
Or are they a waste of money for this type of ignition setup?
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

If the setup can handle your power you dont need it. If you will reach the limit of the coils and igniter then you can add a device like that to pull even more juice out of the coils. I have used the hks twin power and know that it works. The okada stuff is a bit cheaper though i think but i have not yet tried it so i can not vouch for it yet. But I will try the okada booster if i reach the limit.
with 0.8 mm gap the limit should be between 450whp and 500whp. With 0.6mm gap these coils should handle 500whp without a problem. I prefer to keep the oem gap though so when i reach the limit i will go for the okada booster and my #1 choice just because it is cheaper and it will be fun to try something different. But if i get a good price on a hks twin power dli i will probably use that one as i know it works.
The okada lift will probably work to but not be as powerful. I think it will run both the coil and igniter hotter to as it will always push a higher voltage through the stuff (not a device i would recommend as a first choice)
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

This is just what I have been looking for.

Can you please give me a price for supplying everything needed to work with a stock ecu. I also am using an MSD box but that must just wire in the same way.

Thanks

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

i have pm:ed you :)
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Only 5 of these left now.
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Has any one on imoc here fitted this set up and have it working? Thinking of buying this set up but could do with a chat with an end user :thumleft:
Boney1984

Post by Boney1984 »

Really interested in this. Just wondering if it will work on my rev 3 with original ecu, how can i tell if it is a gen3?

I'm trying to get it in my head how it will all connect, especially the sequencer. I'm guessing it alternates the signal from the first coil to the rest then back again?

Also, apart from your kit the only other things i will need are the 4 cbr600 coils, the yamaha r1 coil loom and the supra ignitor, is this true?
NoddE

Post by NoddE »

Boney1984 wrote:Really interested in this. Just wondering if it will work on my rev 3 with original ecu, how can i tell if it is a gen3?

I'm trying to get it in my head how it will all connect, especially the sequencer. I'm guessing it alternates the signal from the first coil to the rest then back again?

Also, apart from your kit the only other things i will need are the 4 cbr600 coils, the yamaha r1 coil loom and the supra ignitor, is this true?

Gen3 engine does not have the AFM, only map sensor. and the valve cover looks different, gen3 also has an oem oil catch can.

You splice in wires to the oem ecu wires. My box uses the oem ignition signal but sends it to the right coil.
ECU ignition signal -> my box -> 4 ignition signals to the Supra Igniter -> 4 signals to each coil.

Almost true, you need to add either 4 denso iridium plugs with removable terminals or four of these very expensive ngk copper plugs:
http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/pages/datab ... no=Q22PR-U
£1.53 each ;)

/Jimmy
Boney1984

Post by Boney1984 »

sorry, but you never mentioned if you had any kits left or not and how long will it take for me to recieve(i'm in the uk)?

Also are you any wiser about roughly how long the coils will last with the dwell set as it is through the oem ecu? Maybe someone who has done it can help?

Return to “Group Buys - MR2 related”