[Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SS dump valve

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

toyokid

[Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SS dump valve

Post by toyokid »

I recently bought one of these to compliment my new S/H turbo
which will be boosting higher, it will be replacing a Bosch re-circulating unit,
but if I don't like the noise....
can the HKS unit be easily converted to re-circulate?

Thanks in advance.

Stephen
pnicho

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SS dump valve

Post by pnicho »

It can be done easily.

You could buy one of these kits and then fashion some tube yourself to do it, or if you are any good at a lathe then you could take your insert out and then machine one that is longer without the bars across the middle and then you would have something to get a hose onto (I know someone who did this)

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=799

Regards

Phil
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

I think i have that fitting you need buddy irl have look in my garage for you :thumleft:

When i was younger i loved the noise of a good dumb valve or blow off valve, now i hate them all with a passion, thats why i dont run anythink atall compressor surge sounds nice :mrgreen:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

GTS GAV wrote:

When i was younger i loved the noise of a good dumb valve or blow off valve, now i hate them all with a passion, thats why i dont run anythink atall compressor surge sounds nice :mrgreen:

well its not compressor surge your hearing.

id be worried it was "real" compressor surge...

what your hearing is turbo flutter....
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Its just a term most use to decribe the noise when you back off the throttle dude, some say turbo flutter, some say waste gate chatter lol

I say compressor surge as in, the compressed air in the intake system is forced out of the intake of the turbo or compressor while it it still tryin to force air in causing a surge past the wheel making the noise i hear :)

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

GTS GAV wrote:Its just a term most use to decribe the noise when you back off the throttle dude, some say turbo flutter, some say waste gate chatter lol

I say compressor surge as in, the compressed air in the intake system is forced out of the intake of the turbo or compressor while it it still tryin to force air in causing a surge past the wheel making the noise i hear :)

it is like a myth word thats spread on the web for something that its not.

its not wastegate chatter either. wastegate chatter/flutter is something else.

the sound is just the air hitting the blades from the other side....

it is not compressor stall, or surge tho. (the turbo would never "stall")

you could call it compressor flutter. :eye:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

jimGTS wrote:

it is like a myth word thats spread on the web for something that its not.

its not wastegate chatter either. wastegate chatter/flutter is something else.

the sound is just the air hitting the blades from the other side....

it is not compressor stall, or surge tho. (the turbo would never "stall")

you could call it compressor flutter. :eye:

lol agreed, its like when people say "stance" or "hellaflush", to explain how a low a car is or how much camber or cast they run etc

most say it "as the air is being forced or surging past the compressor wheel" just makes exsplaining it to a noob or bird etc easyr with out goin in depth and appearing geeky :lol:

so many people said to me "ow your goin to get turbo stall with out a bov" told them to look at some of the top end performance d1 spec cars in japan 90% no DV :thumleft:

wow just realised how off topic this has gone :lol:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mine didnt come with a bov, i put one on as people scared me into getting one, soon done some decent research and have since removed it for the last 4-5months....
people say it kills turbos, no proof at all. its an utter junk opinion.

from my experience, there is an improvement of spool up between fast shifts as its not dumping huge amounts of air out the system, but retaining some...pressurising the system is what gets the car up to full load, blowing off all that pressure is a step back...
ive experiemented with it alot, and im defo keeping it off.

plus sounds badass.

if anyone told you it stalls, then there fools, lol....
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

jimGTS wrote:mine didnt come with a bov, i put one on as people scared me into getting one, soon done some decent research and have since removed it for the last 4-5months....
people say it kills turbos, no proof at all. its an utter junk opinion.

from my experience, there is an improvement of spool up between fast shifts as its not dumping huge amounts of air out the system, but retaining some...pressurising the system is what gets the car up to full load, blowing off all that pressure is a step back...
ive experiemented with it alot, and im defo keeping it off.

plus sounds badass.

if anyone told you it stalls, then there fools, lol....

Theres speaks the truth i some what came to the same conclusion myself, its one of those things in theory it shoudnt work but in reality it does, like water injection 99% of people say you cant run it pre turbo, and on paper surgests it wouldnt work, in reality it does, an does it very well indeed, im sure when i post up on my build thread that im goin pre turbo there be alot of posts :lol:

I concur it does indeed sound awesome!! plus i got £160 in my pocket for my polished hks bov win win :D

pnicho

Post by pnicho »

Ok - sorry to keep this hijack of the thread going, but have you had a new hot pipe fabricated or have you just blanked the old one off?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

my greddy type R bov cam with a block off plate to, lucky!
:mrgreen:

my hardpipe was originally completely free of any adapter, until i had a greddy adapter welded in. as said, ive now blocked that off..

btw this isnt recommended on anything other than a steel shafted turbo...

so stock turbos, is a no no as the shaft is ceramic....however ive never heard of people snapping shafts even on a ceramic shaft, but i guess being weaker, not a good idea.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

My setup it totally custom, i dont have the stock hard pipe inplace i originaly moved the hks bov to just before the throttle body, i have 2 Ubends going from the boot mounted intercooler to the throttle body, one with a spiget for a dump valve, one with out

I also wouldnt surgest doing this on the stock turbo's especialy if its ceramic.

pnicho

Post by pnicho »

Steel shafted turbo here ;)

Just interested at the moment, won't be until winter that I even think of doing anything like that as my cars going to lemans, belgium gp, around the nurburgring and then up to the alps in italy this summer! :)

Slowly but surely being turned into a standard looking track car! :)
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

pnicho

Post by pnicho »

To see if I like this could I not just remove the tube to the bov to start with?

Return to “Modifications”