Race pads and tyres

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dazzz

Race pads and tyres

Post by dazzz »

As i want to do more track driving, i'm about to book my first track day at Oulton Park.

Which brakes? I've already got braided lines, new disks and fully serviceable calipers. The Yellow stuff pads are ok on the road but at the Nur, i reckon they were a weak link on the car. They faded badly. They havn't worn down much though.

I've also been advised to use race spec brake fluid rather than 5.1 which i have in at the minute. I think it's Super Dot 4 i need. Can i use this safely on the road day to day without any ill effects on the cars braking system?

Bob Hatton mentioned some other pads as opposed to the carbotechs, but i can't find the link now or remember the name of them.

I don't mind changing them over before and after a track day or visit to the ring so they won't see much road use.

Which tyres? I have a set of 16'' Pro race 1.2s.

I'm gonna refurb my standard set of wheels and use these for everyday road use, and use the 16s for track action. The 16s currently have tr1s all round. The rears are new and the fronts don't seem to have lost any tread depth over the past year so are still good to use.

I'll use the tr1s which are on at the minute until they need changing. I like to see the progression from upgrade to upgrade, Forza style.

When they do need changing, i'll need a set of tyres which are good for the track but will also allow me to drive there and back legally, ie when i go back to the Nur. I'll change the wheels back to the standards when i change the pads.

So i need to choose a full set of race biased pads, new brake fluid and a set of tyres 205/45/16 for the front, i have 195s at the mo, and 225/45/16 for the rear.

Any advice? What tyres do you run on track days.
JDM-MAT

Re: Race pads and tyres

Post by JDM-MAT »

just a tip for when you come off the track, do not put your hand brake on leave it in gear. as you use the brakes hard they get hot and when you park up and put the hand brake on the can sorta weld the pads to the disc.

as for the pads i have used red stuff and found them to be very good with no fade.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php? ... 2038&rs=gb
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Keep clear of anything made by EBC.

You need Porterfield pads. No need to change them when on the road, they are great for race or road.

R888 is the tyre to use for the track days but will not last very long on the road.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Carbotechs and R888s everytime. But if it's your first time I'd trash any old set of tyres first!
cvega666

Post by cvega666 »

Mintex is the other name mentioned.
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

A full set of Carbotech xp8s is £340

The Portafield pads come in at £210 for a full set of R-4 spec.

Looking on this site though there seems to be a little confusion about the part numbers, it gives different prices for turbo and non turbo models. I'm sure they are the same though pads though for both cars? :-k

http://www.webologies.co.uk/cgi-bin/csv ... lect3=1994

Where would you recommend to purchase from Bob?

I think i may stick with the tr1 tyres for now then change them later down the line so i can see the improvment.
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

I've been going through the brake pad dilemma as well.
I haven't heard of Porterfield pads before, bobhatton could you fill us in a bit on them or anyone else that is using them ?

My car is on T1R's, yellow stuff pads and Motul RBF600 fluid.

dazzz:
Have you done any upgrades to the chassis, suspension ?

I was thinking of getting some carbotech pads but just the AX6's rather than the XP series as I use my car on the road more than the track at the moment. I can get them sent from the States I think, a lot cheaper...why we get ripped off over here I've no idea.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

From my research Porterfield seem to be quite big in America. Skyline and supra clubs from some searches.

All i've done to my suspension is rebuilt dampers with inserts, Eibach pro springs and a full bush kit with ARB bushes.

I've got some front and rear braces to go on once painted black, and i'm going to upgrade the front ARB to the whiteline adjustable 20mm when they come in stock at camskill. I think the rear is quite stiff anyway but we'll see what happens.

I'm also looking for some good race spec brake fluid to replace my brand new 5.1

I plan to use my car 90% on the road and 10% on the track. More of a GT car than a road going track weapon.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I first used Porterfield pads on my Rev 1 for track days, best brakes I have ever had on any car, never needed to fit Rev 2 disks they did everyting I wanted and lasted two years or so.

I now use them on my Rev2 for sprints and they are just great. My son drove my car and could not stop laughing, he could not beleve how good my brakes are.

The UK Porterfield site is out of date with prices, the set I got last year was over £300.00 if I remember right.

Part numbers are AP582 front and AP309 rears I use the R4 compond, great for road or race.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
paul port

Post by paul port »

I tried the Porterfield R4s pads after my first set of Carbotech Panther Plus (this is a long time before MR2 Championship fame)

The Carbotech's lasted a good year of road use and numerous trackdays.
The Porterfields were gone in a fraction of the time - one trackday if I remember correctly

So from my point of view, despite the higher cost, the Carbotech offered me better value for money...
If I recall, my first set of Panther+ cost me ~£240 must be 6~7 years ago now.

Paul
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

dazzz wrote:I think the rear is quite stiff anyway but we'll see what happens.

Fitting the rear whiteline adjustable made the BIGGEST difference.
I'm using these settings as advised by many:
front - mid
rear - hard

I wish I fitted the rear one months ago, as I was driving around with the uprated front one only #-o

Well now with the Porterfield pads we have a problem - two completely differing opinions.

Either way, I think I'm still going to have them from the States, why should be pay nearly double in the UK ?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The USA is cheaper but the shipping costs have gone up by about 300% over the last year or so and then you will have the duty and 20% VAT on top of everything, so add it all up before buying.

Bob
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I got an email from the site which sells them linking to the price today.
Not much cheaper than the xp8s

http://whifbitzperformancetuning.co.uk/ ... =5&sort=4a

I'm trying to get one of the chaps in the states to prchase them, then send them over to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porterfi ... ccessories

I've also enquired about the front set.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

You must fit front and rear at the same time to balance the car.
I would go for R4, not the R4-S if you are goijg to do track days
J-1

Post by J-1 »

I'm upgrading my brakes while the car is off the road over the winter.

I am planning a few track days this year, including a trip to the Ring, so i'll be needing a good brake combination.

Is it worthwhile putting uprated pads on standard discs, or should I upgrade the discs as well?

I'll be adding braided hoses as well.
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

I was only thinking about this today, as with standard discs you'll have more braking surface in contact with the disc all the time.

I have 12 grooved discs , so the pad isn't touching as much of the disc as with the standard disc, but they say they reduce brake temps by allowing gases to escape quicker.

If i had to buy again, i would maybe get 5/6 grooves.

I like the look of grooves.

Groovey :thumleft:
RobPhoboS

Post by RobPhoboS »

bobhatton wrote:The USA is cheaper but the shipping costs have gone up by about 300% over the last year or so and then you will have the duty and 20% VAT on top of everything, so add it all up before buying.

Bob

No for me.
I have friends going back and forth all of the time, easy to bring back :thumleft:
J-1

Post by J-1 »

dazzz wrote:I was only thinking about this today, as with standard discs you'll have more braking surface in contact with the disc all the time.

I have 12 grooved discs , so the pad isn't touching as much of the disc as with the standard disc, but they say they reduce brake temps by allowing gases to escape quicker.

What discs have you got? I spoke to a guy over on mr2oc who had CRN grooved discs and said they were great!

Anyone used CRN discs?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

J-1 wrote:
dazzz wrote:I was only thinking about this today, as with standard discs you'll have more braking surface in contact with the disc all the time.

What discs have you got? I spoke to a guy over on mr2oc who had CRN grooved discs and said they were great!

Anyone used CRN discs?

I've got the CRN disks. I had them zinc plated also, stops them looking rusty where the pads don't contact.
Moo

Post by Moo »

I run CRN discs, zinc plated in gold, with yellow stuff pads. Discs are still looking nearly new a year on from fitting. I don't track my car but find this combination of discs and pads more than sufficient for fast road use. Having said that though I've seen Bob Hatton mention in another thread that yellow stuff pads warp discs so may switch my pads in the summer.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”