PC bods.. need some assistance please...

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

fizz

PC bods.. need some assistance please...

Post by fizz »

As some of you know i bought a new PC recently. I moved over a 750Gb HD from my old comp only to find i couldnt overwrite the existing files!

Bit of research to find that i needed to take ownership of the files and folders which i have now done accordingly.

Now i am able to delete these files but still cant amend them when in a Word document for example. I updated it and pressed save only to be told that the file is read only even though it aint.

I have my full collection of pics on there which i cant bloody amend too!

Only long winded option i can see is to copy over the folders in sections to my primary HD then delete from the old one and then copy them back over which is going to be a PITA as ive got about 600Gig worth of data.

Any help would be much appreciated. :-k
Joey

Re: PC bods.. need some assistance please...

Post by Joey »

I had similar issues after installing windows 7, was a right pain in the ass to resolve. Check the security settings for the folders/files in question and look for a 'Everybody deny' entry and delete it.
fizz

Post by fizz »

cheers for the reply..

Everbody is set to full control as are all the other users/options.

So it aint that.. ](*,)
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

If you Right mouse > Properties, They're not set as Read only in there are they?

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Jaspa wrote:If you Right mouse > Properties, They're not set as Read only in there are they?

Stuart

Sadly it aint that simple... ](*,)
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Didn't think it would be but sometimes....

Actually, Have you checked the permissions of the individual folders inside the harddrive to check that the permissions have carried through to the child?
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
fizz

Post by fizz »

Jaspa wrote:Didn't think it would be but sometimes....

Actually, Have you checked the permissions of the individual folders inside the harddrive to check that the permissions have carried through to the child?

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! :thumleft:

POS did not carry the changes through to the sub folders and files even though when i selected the tick box it showed all the folders and files being processed and took a few min so i thought it had done it correctly!

When i check the permissions for write access at the drive level its showing as full access yet when i check at sub folder level its just showing as read!! ](*,)

Stupid Windows 7!!!

Im having to go through each of the folders at the high end and make the changes which seems to be working now rather than just selecting the drive and doing it from there. :-k
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

You should be able to select the drive root and then permissions, If you then go into Change permissions, there should be a tick box to replace all child permissions. that should cover all the subfolders :pray:
fizz

Post by fizz »

thats what i did initially and it didnt seem to work.

After testing out a small batch of folders ive just plonked all my folders in one and started to change the permissions on that one and sub folders/files and fingers crossed that should do it.

Cheers for the help mate as im a lot closer to solving it quicker than my original method. lol
simpson_eh

Post by simpson_eh »

restart in safe mode, go to the hard drive in question right click then properties then security and you will have another tab under security take ownership

job done

Return to “Games Consoles”