REV3 Turbo on track *advice please*

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

2barGee

REV3 Turbo on track *advice please*

Post by 2barGee »

I have dropped a stock engine in now and i'm planning on tracking it a fair bit in 2011!!!

Now I was running stock engine internals at 350bhp on track for well over year before I did a piston ring.

But i'm back on to a stock ECU now so is there anything else I could do to keep it nice reliable!!!

So far I will have, TRD stat, monster charge cooler. everything else engine wise is stock pretty much. :wink:

I was planning to run around 1bar to keep it nice and safe, instead of push it at 1.2.

Is it worth pulling some ign timing to be even safer??

Anything else I can do that might help??

Cheers and sorry for the long post.
Rowland

Re: REV3 Turbo on track *advice please*

Post by Rowland »

Cooling seems to be the key when tracking the 3SGTE.
Do you have gauges in place to monitor oil/coolent temps etc?
From racing in the Super GT series most if not all drivers, myself included, have suffered with overheating issues when running a 3SGTE at ten tenths.

:?
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Hi mate how's the motor running??

How many laps/minutes does it take before temp problems start 2 occur?? Because I'll only be doing around 10-15 mins max at one time I'd say.

But yeh every mr2 I've had I've managed 2 crack the block so I've always ended with a temp problem :-) I'm hoping staying stockish will stop my chances!! We shall see.
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

were you cracking blocks from track use?
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:were you cracking blocks from track use?

No mate. Every time I pushed the block over 400bhp I've cracked the block I've done 2 now. So I'm going for less power and just strip the car down as much as possible
paul port

Post by paul port »

Maybe I was just very lucky with my old motor...
But I would say Stock ECU and Timing will be fine for heavy trackday use. The only 'additional' you should need is better intercooling to deal with being on boost more of the time, and a good Synth Oil (Comma Motorsport).

** I should add that I do recall doing a trackday where I noticed my temperature gauge creeping up, and so couldn't complete a whole session - turned out the original Rad had given up after ~10 years (Lost a lot of fins) and just needed replacement.

Rowland, Is your GT running stock engine management? As you know, Toyota dials in more fuel to keep things safe and a bit cooler. Yes there is a lot of additional power to be had from leaning off - but that's typically where others have melted pistons etc.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Got to agree with Paul - I did a lot of trackdays (10+?) with my old Rev2 with a Hybrid turbo @ 13-14psi, and stock internals and ECU. Timing was @ 7-8 deg BTDC on that engine for the peak of 16psi I would run.

Never spent more than 20-25minutes per hour on track, and never had any problems.

FWIW, turning the boost up to 16-17psi made little difference to the straight line speed on track, even when chasing down Type-Rs etc.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

paul port wrote:Rowland, Is your GT running stock engine management? As you know, Toyota dials in more fuel to keep things safe and a bit cooler. Yes there is a lot of additional power to be had from leaning off - but that's typically where others have melted pistons etc.

Stock ECU, Apexi AVCR with boost A&B set at 0.8 bar and 1.1 bar.
Running an ST205 seems on the face of it seems to not allow sufficent air flow over the main rad when driven at 10/10ths.
I need to do a track day in *cooler* conditions to establish this.

:-k
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

Cheers for the info. I'm going to run my rad fans on stage 2 all the time while i'm on track just to keep the temps as low as possible.

I need to sort out my exhuast as it over boosts above 5k as the departure 2 is so flowing so i need to fit a restictor plate ive got in the shed somewhere :-)

When you next getting on track rowland??

I'm looking at cadwell or bedford around march, i've never done bedford so i might give that a go. :-k
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Gee Man wrote:

When you next getting on track rowland??

It won't be for at least a couple of months or so buddy.
Need to spend some pennies on the car. New clutch and a handful of other items too before it sees use again.

#-o

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”