MK3 model year changes...

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

bluefrog

MK3 model year changes...

Post by bluefrog »

Hi all

Thinking of swapping my MK2 for a MK3 and was just after some buying advice re model year changes (apologies if this has already been discussed many times before!)

I will definitely be aiming for a 2003 or later facelift model, due to improvements with wheels, gearbox etc plus I reckon they just look better :)

BUT I have just read about another load of changes done in 2004, primarily for safety but improve chassis stiffness???

http://www.mr2dc.com/index.php/page/cat ... s/post/mk3

Can anyone confirm the UK Mk3's got these improvements? Is it worth shelling out a little bit more to get an 04, and how can you tell the car has the extra reinforcing etc?

Cheers

Ben
frogger

Re: MK3 model year changes...

Post by frogger »

The primary reason to aim for a 2003 or later is better engine design (piston design primarily). The wheels and gearbox are negligable changes in comparison.

Regarding the 2004 changes, as far as I'm aware UK models got these too yes. However this means manufactured in '04, not just registered, so there's probably some '04 registered cars out there without the changes.

You can see whether the new braces are there by looking underneath the car.

The work that the bracing does (in terms of stiffness but not safety) can be replicated on any earlier car by the addition of aftermarket braces. Equally the 'new design of heatshield to prevent the broken weld related rattle' is an easy fix anyway on any earlier cars.

If your concern is safety then the changes may be a deal breaker.

If your concern is chassis stiffness, then it's achieveable to a similar degree with aftermarket parts on any car, so shouldn't be a deal breaker (though could make life easier!)

Essentially, if the safety changes aren't a deal breaker for you (i.e. your happy with the safety or an '03 car (I am)) then I would look at any '03 or later cars.
bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

Greetings fellow frog

Many thanks for your comprehensive reply, I am now a bit wiser and would probably be happy with an 03 car. Don't think my budget would stretch to a 05 or later model anyway. I actually had a quick look at an 06 car today, salesmen probably thought I was weird trying to peek underneath :? Tbh I wasn't sure if I could see the braces or not. I think unless you have a pre 04 car there aswell to compare, its hard to tell...

It is interesting though and makes you think, why toyota made such extensive changes in 04. But I guess this is the case with many cars, you just don't hear about the changes a lot of the time :-s

The more I read about the MK3 the more it makes sense, compared to the MK2. 300kg lighter (!), 6 speed gearbox, proper convertible roof, none of this t-bar business...
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

The g/f has an 05 'Red' edition and it really is a very good drive, you certainly notice the lower weight compared to the mk2. That said if it's to be a daily driver the lack of storage would be the deal breaker for me but I guess you've already considered that.
Good luck with the hunt and post up some piccies when you buy.

R.
bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

It is a good point highwaystar, the storage on MK3's is pathetic! I thought the boot on my MK2 was a bit titchy, but seems pretty generous after comparing it to a MK3... TBH I think this may end up being a deal breaker for me too, we shall see...
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

can get a set of golf clubs in a mk2 boot :thumleft:
frogger

Post by frogger »

I solve the storage issue by having a volvo in reserve lol.
If storage is your priority then an MR2 would be last on the list!
For me MR2 = handling. And as such the weight is the dealbreaker by a mile and a half - just can't stand the weight of 3S block, even if it does have a turbo in tow!
bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

Yes there's no denying it, the 3S-GE is a heavy lump, all that iron slowly rusting away :(

I've also just read that the MK1 kerb weight was similar to the MK3 - around 1000kg. Just makes you wonder what happened with the MK2???
HT

Post by HT »

bluefrog wrote:Yes there's no denying it, the 3S-GE is a heavy lump, all that iron slowly rusting away :(

I've also just read that the MK1 kerb weight was similar to the MK3 - around 1000kg. Just makes you wonder what happened with the MK2???

I recently got back into MR2's after a 2 year break: I think they all have there pluses and pitfalls, each being distinctly different to the previous rendition. My roadster is slowly growing on me; having always been a huge fan of the mk1 - with the mk3 feeling every bit as special to drive. :)
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Best option IMO is to have one of each though both the Mk1 and Mk2 are in winter storage to stop them rusting away! I personally find the Mk3 a practical every day car which is great fun to drive but more fuel efficient than its predecessors and I often carry a set of golf clubs in the passenger seat!
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

I moved from an MR2 Turbo to an early Mk3.

My first thoughts 'Wow, much better than T-bar', 'Damn looking right view isn't as good as the Turbo'.

The ONLY thing I miss from the Turbo is the speed. Nothing else at all. I haven't found the storage that bad as I only ever really kept rubbish in the trunk of the Turbo and shopping is now a passenger foot well thing :)
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Turbo it ;-)
excalibur1814

Word

Post by excalibur1814 »

BenF wrote:Turbo it ;-)

Seriously... I'd LOVE to Turbo it, but, fuel prices have pretty much made that a no-no. Maybe when I'm living with my partner it might happen. :D
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

FWIW, it doesn't hurt economy that much. My MPG figures are more or less the same as the NA - eg I've got 36mpg happily on motorway speed cruises. on track, it does get down to ~10-12 MPG but I've never had it as low as 6 or 7mpg that I could manage on my old Mk2 Tubo.

So, ~240 bhp, good economy and tidy handling. What's not to like :D ?
bluefrog

Post by bluefrog »

BenF wrote:My MPG figures are more or less the same as the NA

That is surprising... did the turbo cause you many problems with insurance?
jnoiles

Post by jnoiles »

frogger wrote:The primary reason to aim for a 2003 or later is better engine design (piston design primarily).

From reading the link above and other places that looks like it was resolved in 2002. Is that not the case?
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

It was with the facelifted car that the piston re-design was done, so you're looking for an 03-plated car or onwards.
loadswine

Post by loadswine »

Some 52 plate ones are also facelift models.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

:lol:

I wrote that three times and deleted it as I was sure that I was remembering it wrong, looks like I should've stuck to my guns! :D
Scuba

Post by Scuba »

Ekona wrote::lol:

I wrote that three times and deleted it as I was sure that I was remembering it wrong, looks like I should've stuck to my guns! :D

You are getting confused in your old age Dan!

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”