[Mk2] [Turbo] Import taxes

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig

[Mk2] [Turbo] Import taxes

Post by craig »

Been looking at this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0591264345

What sort of taxes or all in price would you expect to pay worst case on it?

Many thanks, not right up on import duty/taxes.
djpkins

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Import taxes

Post by djpkins »

think its 10 % import duty then vat on the whole price...I have had some success, in the past, asking for things to be sent as a commercial sample, thus avoiding duties
craig

Post by craig »

OK cheers for reply mate :thumleft:
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

just need to be sure EVERYTHING you need is in that package dude

as you wont have a hope in hell finding spares to complete the kit

as said, likely to be 10-20% added on top for import and holding fees...
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:just need to be sure EVERYTHING you need is in that package dude

as you wont have a hope in hell finding spares to complete the kit

as said, likely to be 10-20% added on top for import and holding fees...

Cheers Jim, think I'll let it go. Found a similar white faced gauge in the UK which should suffice.

While on the import tax discussion, about 5 years ago, I bought some Blitz Type 01 Wheels X4 from ebay int (Japan) and never got charged more than what I paid buy it now on ebay :-k
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

thats crazy!

ive got charged £10-15 before on a set of speedhut dials i got from US, lol

nothing for a set of wheels! DEAL IN!
craig

Post by craig »

jimGTS wrote:thats crazy!

ive got charged £10-15 before on a set of speedhut dials i got from US, lol

nothing for a set of wheels! DEAL IN!

Yeah, I must admit, I was pretty happy with that :mrgreen:
Yas

Post by Yas »

I've noticed parcels from Japan seem to slip through the system where as US parcels don't, luck of the draw I guess?
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
nikaiyo

Post by nikaiyo »

Yas wrote:I've noticed parcels from Japan seem to slip through the system where as US parcels don't, luck of the draw I guess?

+1 I have NEVER been charged duty on EMS shipped items from Japan but ALWAYS get charged from the US. If I buy from the US I insist on Fed Ex or UPS as they dont charge a big handling fee for paying the duty.
RST

Post by RST »

I've noticed parcels from Japan seem to slip through the system where as US parcels don't, luck of the draw I guess

...paid £38 charges on my head unit fascia adaper from Beatsonic in Japan. The fascia is only£88.. Never mind -they sell them all day long for £250 on gaybay plus shipping so god knows what the taxes are on those!!!!!!!!! I still saved over half the price buying direct rather then through gaybay.

HMRC have a standard £8'odd charge they pick up on most things -cover them for the trained monkeys (we call them NEDs) picking it up then slapping it off a table edge until something breaks so they can establish the contents as fragile rather than going by the label. If it wasn't in 2 pieces before it damn well will be when you get it. To be fair though they do slap "fragile" tape over the edges hanging out of the packet once they've established just how hard it takes to actualy break it.

...I've had most stuff from the US slip by ..but had something recently from Austrailia charged £40 for something declared as les than a tenner in value!!!
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

i always ask for the item to be sent as a warranty return, that way full item value is declared and insurance value is correct, but as you would have already paid duty on the aledged return item no further charges will be made :thumleft:
worked every time for me
uglee

Post by uglee »

How do you do that as a warranty return without proof of postage that you sent the same item out of the UK as a repair and return?

I've been subject to a genuine warranty return and the supporting paperwork proving this is required before customs will release it.
dawesy

Post by dawesy »

last item i had fedex sent me an invoice, i rang them explained it was a warranty return and it had been sent previously by a different courier.
fedex deliver then invoice you for the tax.
got a call a couple of days later saying there was nothing to pay, may just be lucky but i have done it twice or three times now with no probs

Return to “Modifications”