Non returning seatbelt?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Grendel

Non returning seatbelt?

Post by Grendel »

I have recently found when I get out of the car the seatbelt wont return to the reel unless you feed it back?

Is it worth taking the seatbelt apart to try and find out what the problem is or just see if a 2nd hand one is any better?
Boddney

Re: Non returning seatbelt?

Post by Boddney »

Mine was like that when I bought it.
I took the trim off that hides the reel and firstly blew out the dust with an air line (or tyre pump at the garage if you havnt got a compressor) and then sprayed it with a silicone spray whilst pulling the belt in and out. You could try WD40 but if you get it on the belt it will end up on your clothes and you may smell a bit odd for a few days :lol: HTH

Bod
kaiowas

Post by kaiowas »

It's pretty common as the springs get tired with age.

Personally I wouldn't risk taking the assembly apart as the springs inside are under considerable tension and I don't know the innards well enough to be confident that it's not going to release that tension in an uncontrolled fashion with potentially dangerous consequences.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Looks like it may just need a clean out in that case. Since dont facy taking it apart :pale:
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

I replaced my drivers side seatbelt with a second-hand unit which works alot better and at a fraction of the price of a new one. As with anything second-hand there is a risk of buying something faulty of course. Once the spring inside is worn the only option is to replace it.
Boddney

Post by Boddney »

I wouldnt advise taking it apart either. I had one come apart once in a truck i was driving and it was like a small bomb going off. They are a bit like my other half, Very highly sprung. HEHE

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”