[Mk2 NA] my 3sfe stutters around 3000RPM

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr rob

[Mk2 NA] my 3sfe stutters around 3000RPM

Post by mr rob »

Hello I just bought a J reg 3sfe powered MR2 and despite being underpowered I love it its immaculate anyhoo...

My car tends to stutter slightly around 2800 - 3000 RPM its worse when cold - Do I need to do the general Plug, wires and dizzy swap?

Also

My economy appears to be terrible (then again my previous car would do 350 miles to a tank) I've managed just over 210 miles on a full tank of super unleaded :shock:

any help would be greatly appreciated
waelwulfas

Re: [Mk2 NA] my 3sfe stutters around 3000RPM

Post by waelwulfas »

I would say so, my FE's dissy cap was seriously corroded inside when I bought it. Give it a good overhaul. Start with new NGK's BKR6EYA-11, 'bout £12 at Halfords. New cap and rotor arm from Toyota (£35ish if I recall). Check your timing, the dissy bolt was missing on mine, and some other people have found they work loose. You can run happily on 95 Ron, the FE was only made and tuned for the UK market, unless you want to advance for super unleaded.
Make sure the air filter is clean, I use a washable K&N panel filter (direct replacement into the standard airbox). I would also change the oil and filter even if it was done buy the seller, peace of mid for £20 if you diy.
With an auto box I get a steady 29mpg.
See if that improves things, plug leads for the FE are only avaliable from Toyota, and are hellishly expensive.

Now sit back and enjoy the car. I give it 1/2hour before someone tells you to rip out the engine and go turbo :D
mr rob

Post by mr rob »

lol thanks for the help I'll start buying bits this evening when I escape from work.

I'm planning on swapping in a later spec 3sge non turbo engine at some point not sure I could afford the insurance on a turbo

thanks again
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

a good place for plug leads is Auto Japanese Spares in coventry www.autojapspares.co.uk got my leads, dizzy and rotor arm for my FE, a bit cheaper than Mr T but the are original quality. I use super unleaded and i seam to get about 300 miles from about 35-40 quid.

waelwulfas, i'm looking at airfilter options is a K&N panel filter the way to go for these or would the induction kit be any better with the afm?
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

IMHO you are better off with an aftermarket panel filter. You need to get maximum cold air into the engine and you really need to retain the resonator box (big black lump upper left hand side) to take advantage of the low end torque. An induction kit will sound louder but you'll lose power I know, I've tried.
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

cool thanks, panel filter it is then, did the induction kit sound much louder with the afm? to be honest, my exhasut is loud enough i just want to get more air in.
waelwulfas

Post by waelwulfas »

Yes there i was a noise increase, but I reckon your exhaust would defeat it anyway. The AFM is the pain, no matter how freeflow you go before the unit, it's all restricted as it goes through the AFM :? .

Return to “Mechanical”