Turbo cut out while driving.....

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

ToyotaTosh

Turbo cut out while driving.....

Post by ToyotaTosh »

Since I started working just a 10 min walk from my house, my car does not get used until the weekend, before that it was everyday.
So today I decided to take it out for a good blast, just going thru Wrightington, Eccleston etc before heading on home.
I've noticed as I accelerate, and boost kicks in, it suddenly cut out, like I hit the brakes, then as I let off the accelerator and pressed it again, it was ok and carried on.
Also I was getting the engine management light on, this only lit up when the speedo dies, the rest of the clocks work ok, just not speedo ? The speedo also bounces a lot, shows iam doing 180mph, as iam braking round a corner, and sometimes as I accelerate it starts going backwards??
This has all shown up under hard acceleration, normal pottering about driving, and its fine.

My car is 1994 Rev 3 Turbo. Possibly uprated by previous owner as I have printout of 280bhp with a CT26 on it. 3" pipe all the way down inc de-cat pipe, and a Motoria Exhaust. Also has a FCD.

This leads me to ask, how to I find out which error code is showing, and has anyone else encountered similar problems??

Regards

Tony Mc
vtecpower

Re: Turbo cut out while driving.....

Post by vtecpower »

ToyotaTosh wrote:Since I started working just a 10 min walk from my house, my car does not get used until the weekend, before that it was everyday.
So today I decided to take it out for a good blast, just going thru Wrightington, Eccleston etc before heading on home.
I've noticed as I accelerate, and boost kicks in, it suddenly cut out, like I hit the brakes, then as I let off the accelerator and pressed it again, it was ok and carried on.
Also I was getting the engine management light on, this only lit up when the speedo dies, the rest of the clocks work ok, just not speedo ? The speedo also bounces a lot, shows iam doing 180mph, as iam braking round a corner, and sometimes as I accelerate it starts going backwards??
This has all shown up under hard acceleration, normal pottering about driving, and its fine.

My car is 1994 Rev 3 Turbo. Possibly uprated by previous owner as I have printout of 280bhp with a CT26 on it. 3" pipe all the way down inc de-cat pipe, and a Motoria Exhaust. Also has a FCD.

This leads me to ask, how to I find out which error code is showing, and has anyone else encountered similar problems??

Regards

Tony Mc

a FCD does not take away your fuel cut it just raises it..

what psi was you hitting before it cut you off
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

You dont need a FCD on a Rev3, that'll be causing problems!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

but Rev3 still has fuel cut but just set at a higher psi doesnt it?

What boost are you hitting? The weather is cold now so you might get huge boost spikes and be hitting fuel cut.
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

if the speedo is bouncing and it's got 180 mph clock then I'd hazard a guess the de-limiter is causing problems as well hence the management light. Might even be a loose connection in the limiter causing the boost cut (FCD as stevie says is not needed on rev3 unless Paul Ports unit)

What boost are you hitting and what is controlling the boost?
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

I'll be honest, iam unsure how to find out what boost iam running, but the SBDC shows I have peaked at 1.3 bar, as it records the highest peak the user has had until it is reset...
I took the car out again before, changed the scramble to 70 from 40 and it seems great again, and I had it set on gain 7.

That sound right ?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

1.3bar is 18.8psi (Im hitting that as well now in the cold)

Im sure Rev3's Fuel cut is 16 or 18psi isnt it??

So I think you were hitting fuel cut, check for error codes and it will probably list fuel cut was hit
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

I found another post when i searched about error codes, and it showed what numbers are for which fault, but Iam unsure how to find out ehich error code is showing ?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

ToyotaTosh wrote:I found another post when i searched about error codes, and it showed what numbers are for which fault, but Iam unsure how to find out ehich error code is showing ?

Go about 1/3 down this page - http://www.btinternet.com/~netsurf/mr2t/mr2tfaq.html

You need to cross Te1 and e1 in the diag box in the engine bay and turn ignition on and count the flashes on the dash
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out this weekend coming, although the light goes off when the speedo decides to work properly.
Maybe when I accelerate harder than usual 8) , the speedo doesnt read properly.
Someone has fitted white dials before I bought it, and all the panels surrounding the dash were not put back properly, so I pushed it back into place (with ease) so someone hasn't done a proper job.
All on the list to do when weather and time allow :)
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

boost cut is around 18.5 ish psi so aye 1.3Bar will do it. If you've pushed the dash back together, well that could explain the erractic speedo :thumleft: Loose wires and that dash is a pita to take apart. Fiddly as opposed to difficult
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Can't be fuel cut because the car stays in 'safe mode' until the ignition hast been turned off.

What surprises me is that you have a Gen3 and a CT26. The Gen3 should have a CT20b. Unless of course CT26 is just what was written an a sheet of paper :wink:
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

mr2magic wrote:Can't be fuel cut because the car stays in 'safe mode' until the ignition hast been turned off.

What surprises me is that you have a Gen3 and a CT26. The Gen3 should have a CT20b. Unless of course CT26 is just what was written an a sheet of paper :wink:

rev1/2 stay in safe mode rev3+ don't ;)
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

mr2magic wrote:Can't be fuel cut because the car stays in 'safe mode' until the ignition hast been turned off.

could be a Hybrid Turbo :wink:
ToyotaTosh

Post by ToyotaTosh »

Not sure if it's a hybrid, and iam unsure on how to check. They guy I bought it from (garage)never had the receipt from the previous owner, although the turbo casting is brand new.
Stef Derner

Post by Stef Derner »

I'm pretty certain the wires on your speedo sensor are broken.

As the engine/box rocks about under acc/decelleration, the wires to the sensor are flexed back and forth and the copper strands inside the cable work harden and break. When you accelerate the cable is stretched and the wires part slightly, sometimes the speedo drops to zero, sometimes it can count the sparks jumping the gap and goes nuts.

Find the sensor, pick a wire and pull gently but firmly, if the wire stretches it is broken. Check all three. If it is broken, you'll need to graft in a new connector. Lot's of toyotas use the same sensor, so you can find the connectors in scrappies all over, cut off the plug with a foot of cable attatched and graft it into your loom.
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

My money's on Stef's suggestion WRT your speedo fault. There is an engine fault code for 'no speedo signal received' and the signal comes via the dash. I'd expect that to be the error code you see when you do diagnostics.

1.3BAR is a bit high to be spiking to but it does happen when it's extra cold like today. Remember fuel cut is there to save your engine, bypassing it when it's already 18psi seems a little silly! IMHO you shouldn't be running an FCD on a rev3, there's just no need without forgies. Same goes for 1.2BAR without some kind of intercooler upgrade.

I also think you've got a hybrid turbo... that's not the original turbo for a rev3 and is also far far too clean to have been on the car for its lifetime! Swapping a standard CT26 on would make no sense which leaves the hybrid option. That said, it's not making decent power for a hybrid... my car made 284bhp with the stock CT20 on it and no boost increase.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

as toxo said, that turbo is way too clean too be a 2nd hand stock CT26. Will most likely be a hybrid unless previous owner wanted to downgrade with a brand new stock ct26 :lol:

Take a pic of the fins / blades, dont the hybrids have extra?
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

allan welsh wrote:

rev1/2 stay in safe mode rev3+ don't ;)

I didn't know that! :D Thanks :thumleft:
Mike N

t

Post by Mike N »

I agree with toxo and Stef,

Remove the inlet boot from your turbo and post a pic.
You will probably notice an almost straight bore into the compressor wheel, the std turbos have a large into small taper.

I also agree that the engine rocking motion is a likely cause of your speedo problems. On my car I replaced the front gearbox mount and fitted a TRD version from Fensport, no vibration noises and no movement either.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”