Its bye bye MR2 :o( .........................for the winter :D

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

mr2turbo99

Its bye bye MR2 :o( .........................for the winter :D

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Well its that time of the year again. The MR2 is going into the garage for the winter and its anual winter treats. However this does mean im subjected to 6 months of driving hell in the form of a Renault "Boat" 19. The only good thing about the 19 is the fact its only done 49k and there isn't a thing wrong with it! Sailed through the MOT today!

Anyway back to the real car. Its going to be a busy Winter this year. First off im putting the CT20b turbo i bought off here just recently, strangely looking forward to this even though im told its not the greatest of tasks!!

Other mods/tasks this year include,

Coilovers
Full border kit with a possible full respray
Oil pressure and Oil Temp gauge
Bring the dials up to date with better colours etc.
Cambelt (Not doing this myself so need to get quotes)
Full service
and probably a whole load of other tasks i havent thought of yet haha.

Luckily the car is still taxed, mot'd and insured so i can take it out for the occasional Winter blasts!
GTS GAV

Re: Its bye bye MR2 :o( .........................for the winter :D

Post by GTS GAV »

sounds like you have some decent plans for your two buddy post up some pictures as when you do your bits :thumleft: what coilovers are you looking at matey, sumo power are doing a deal at the mo i managed to get my fathers bc coilovers supplied fitted and all set up for £550 its goin in soon so will let you no the outcome :thumleft:
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ill still be using 400hp over the winter no worries
:thumleft:

nice winter intake temps, dry + cold = FTW for turbo cars

:mrgreen:
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

^^^ there speaks the truth the cold dense air is brilliant for turbocharged cars but as last winter i can imagen there will be alot written off on the forum i lost count of how many there has been this last 12months but theres was a fair few, im also putting my 2 into storage to carry out some more ideas i have :mrgreen:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

thing is its not my daily drive, so i dont have to worry about snow and rain and the likes, itll only come out on dry days...
win win situation!

but yep agree, for others that use it more often, ie drive to work etc etc, bad things can happen
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

i would love to have that option but has to be kept some distnace away from my house so makes it a hassle for me to get over to get it lol

mr2turbo99

Post by mr2turbo99 »

Yeah ideally id go for having it as a weekend drive but i just cant bring myself to subject it to the salt and crap all over the roads at winter time.

Not sure what coilovers to go for yet. I wish i had the money to buy those brand new BC's that were on here for £500 but just didn't have it at the time. Im sure something good will come up though.

Really looking forward to getting stuck into the border kit. Just got to find the best place to source one as ill fitting kits seem to be rife. I saw this website earlier

http://www.grandprixgroup.com/new/magaz ... ame=SOUPED

Think im going to try and get my car as close to this as possible. (The white one, second pic down) Apart from mine will be black of course. Love that huge wing on the back too. (Although im not usually a fan of silly wings.
loudandproud205
IMOC Organiser

Post by loudandproud205 »

mine to is now laid up, partly down to mechanical failer, also due to the episodes i had last year.

id think il keep it road legal just incase, mind the temps last year made my car see some massive boost spikes :shock:

Got boost?
Kinda!!!
0.3 bar FTL
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

The cold air really screws my boost up as well but still its good fun.

My 2 sees snow and ice every winter and enjoys it :P
swin

Post by swin »

Mine not been out this year at all (first time in ten years)
cut the sills off in the work shop at work then got busy had to push her to one side and there she stayed pinned in #-o
going to finnish the job next month so im hoping for a warm winter to get a couple of cheaky days out
SFLee

Post by SFLee »

Mine not been out for 4 year :mrgreen:

you cannot beat a 4x4 in winter

i think salt is the thing put me off driving a lower car in winter
shibby!

Post by shibby! »

Used my last as a daily driver in the winter for 4 years.

This year will be the same.

Might even use it to go snowboarding up north..... the boards will fit in the car no problem with the t bar off!
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

jimGTS wrote:thing is its not my daily drive, so i dont have to worry about snow and rain and the likes, itll only come out on dry days...
win win situation!

but yep agree, for others that use it more often, ie drive to work etc etc, bad things can happen

Same, gotta love the cold air temps etc, and mines not my daily drive either so no worries about ice etc.
Rev 3 Kris

Post by Rev 3 Kris »

yeah me and our lass are both putting our 2's away in the very near future, ive picked up a toyota avensis and she is looking for a banger
GMLMR2

Post by GMLMR2 »

Mine stays on the road all the time, it never does a car any good being laid up for months on end with no action engines bloody hate it it's the quickest way to shag an engine especially if you live in a real cold damp area :| , it’s not to bad if you keep cranking oil around the engine every week or so I speak from experience.

My 2 is my daily runner so I just prepare it for the winter by doing my yearly wax oiling the under body, wheal arches, inner doors, sills etc ready for the winter salt roads :)
I have a set of 4 spare cheapo wheel rims with winter metal stud tires on that go on the car when weather gets serious, it’s quite funny when people see you out and about in the snow or ice and there stuck on a hill and you whip past them in a back wheel driven car with plenty of grip lol :D stud tires turns my 2 into a mega gripper snowplough :thumleft: , though having said that I did help a few out this year who were stuck in snow, I usually carry a tow rope for such occasions lol 8)
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

Boooo! :oldtongue:

I'm going to slap some winter tyres on my advans once it starts getting below 7c, keep the thing washed every week and hope for snow :mrgreen:

after the last couple of winters pottering around on summer tyres in sub 0c temparatures wasnt fun

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”