Standard susp looks a tad high plus engine idle erratic..

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Tellso

Standard susp looks a tad high plus engine idle erratic..

Post by Tellso »

Hi all,

Im a newby on here. Just picked up a little project MK1b (MR2 no. 5! Theyre very addictive!!). Gfriend knows nothing about it yet so its sitting round a friends while i work out how to explain to her that i let her down last minute on sunday to drive 200miles (each way) to pick this up :clap:

Last taxed in 2004!! Been sat in a garage for a number of years until the last guy bought it as a project but due to moving gave up.

Had a new rad and a couple of other bits but believe it or not, with a set of trade plates on her she drove back fine!! (after spending an hour on his drive bleeding the air out of the cooling system!). Amazed everything worked too! \:D/

Anyway, going to need a few little bits before shes back on the road permanently (hopefully!!) but ive got a few questions:

The front suspension seems a little high. My last MK1 had Koni adj's on it and looked just right so i expected this to be a little higher but it looks like its on transit springs. Defo just the stock susp. Any ideas?

Also, i appreciate it will need a good service which it will get next month but the guy mentioned it idled odd. The car hadnt been run when we got there, started up lovely (amazing Toyota engineering - well little help from yamaha!) but after a few minutes of idling the revs started bouncing between 500-1000rpm. Continued to do this.... could this just be the idle control valve (if so anyone got a part number/idea of price? gulp!!).

Cheers for any help
un1eash

Re: Standard susp looks a tad high plus engine idle erratic..

Post by un1eash »

Bouncing idle is normally a problem with the waxstat. Its easier and cheaper to fit a manual choke.
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

If it's just had a new rad fitted, the idle may be because of air in the system.

I'd start by bleeding the system again 1st :thumleft: There are 3 main bleed point. Front Radiator, Heater matrix (under front bumper, below windscreen) and then the engine bay itself.

And Welcome to mk1 ownership :clap:

If you can get to Gatwick one weekend, I'd be happy to give you a hand checking it over.

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
1000 PR

Post by 1000 PR »

Post up a picture of the front suspension or indeed the whole car so we can cast a verdict!
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Cheers guys. Hopefully the idling is just down to air in the system. Ill bleed it again when I'm next with it.

The cars back in kent in hiding and I'm in putney, so jaspa when I've got it up here with me ill drive on over for u too take a look. Ill also get some pics when I'm next down there.

Thanks again
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

When I removed all the useless crap (spare wheel, tools, jack ect ect)out of my froot the standard suspension looked really silly.

Could this be your problem?
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

All the bits and bobs are still in there - spare wheel, tools etc... Maybe I need a few sand bags in there! ;)
Tellso

Post by Tellso »

Hi again,

Ok, ive tried bleeding it again. Quite sure ive got all the air out. And it did have a split pipe which I replaced so can assume it was taking air into the system that way.

Unfortunately still idling funny. When cold started it idles high (choke) but after a few minutes it starts to clam downand this is when the idle bounces. Does that sound like the Waxstat?

Also, not sure if im looking in the wrong section, but i cant find a pic of a 89G 1.6 Engine bay. Does anyone have a pic? Only i want to show you guys another part which is broken - will be easier to show than explain!

Cheers guys

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”