Intake temps?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

GTS GAV

Intake temps?

Post by GTS GAV »

Hey all im finaly starting to run my engine in its been a year to the day that it went pop and feels brilliant to be behind the wheel again :mrgreen:

Just a quick question for you all im running a bootmount intercooler setup and have been keeping an eye on the apexi hand commander to watch the intake temps, i have read some were on here that keeping the intake temps to around 40deg to 45 deg max is a must to help prevent the block from cracking im unsure how true this is?.

I wonderd what intake temps other people were seing, either with your sidemount intercooler or chargecooler, or as my self a boot mounted intercooler.

I am currently seing intake temps around the 38deg to 45deg on a run, but when in trafic on a hot day im seing 55deg sometime 65deg just wonderd if this was normal or....?

Thanks Gav
stock isnt that soup or something.....?

tic tac 500bhp build thread
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 57#1182357
mark239

Re: Intake temps?

Post by mark239 »

Where is your AIT sensor mounted?

The stock location is poor and heatsoaks.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

Im getting the reading from my apexi hand commander from the stock mat sensor in the intake mani dude.

i have read a thread on here of some one has changed the stock mat sensor for an uprated bosch sensor and noticed it was very responsive and accurate compaired to the stock sensor im going to be changing this asap.

just wonderd what intake temps i should be aiming for?

and what other people are seing on week ends like this

mark239

Post by mark239 »

I have relocated my sensor to slightly before the TB, I'm using an AEM one that I got free with my AEM ECU.

I have BMIC and meth injection too with a GT35 at the minute, and today I'd have been seeing high 20's.
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Running BMIC & stock temp sensor, I get mid to high 30's sometimes going into 40's. It will heat up sat in traffic etc(55-65), but drops quickly as soon as you start moving again.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

thanks for your posts lads, im getting the same readings as you steve but my intake temps bairly drop after i start moving again, once it gets up to 48 55plus it never seems to come back down :-k

deffantly thinking of fitting an aftermarket gauge and sensor to see what intake temps im really getting

JJ

Post by JJ »

Normal temps and critisisms of the temp prob ! Generally, a cruising speed will bring it back down to 38 degrees circa !!

Hi intake temps don't crack blocks, it's the detonation or poor tuning ! Although blocks can crack from high boosting too !!

How you getting the cold air into the boot space ?!
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Steve Horrocks

Post by Steve Horrocks »

Gav, i'm simply using the 2 side vents routing to the boot with a blanking panel where stock IC used to be, then floor cut out under the IC in boot. I've alogot 2 11" Spal fans blowing through the IC.
Holds 38-42° on a 1.9bar pull.
476bhp & 415ft lb @ 1.9bar Magic by Ryan!
Gone, but never forgotten
Now with a mk1.5 & a NHB EP3
dbiagioni

Intake

Post by dbiagioni »

Between 25 and 32 dependant on outside air temp i see normally with the bootmount.

My fans come on at 32 and i have only heard them a handfull of times when the car is towards its top end :thumleft:
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

where is the sensor that gives you those figures???
James
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755
Yas

Post by Yas »

Mine are +15 degrees or thereabouts ontop of ambient temp. Measured through my Spa Design gauge, which is only a degree out on the IAT sensor feeding the ECU so fairly accurate.

Never saw it go over 40 degrees when I was running her in, on hotter days it went upto 37/38deg and that was whilst stuck in traffic with the fans on.

If you're looking into gauges check out the Spa one, it's bloody pricey but a great bit of kit: http://www.spa-uk.co.uk/design/productd ... ?objid=104
Low Spec!
RIP TweenieRob
http://www.eshishaonline.com
T.F.S.

Post by T.F.S. »

GTS GAV wrote:i have read some were on here that keeping the intake temps to around 40deg to 45 deg max is a must to help prevent the block from cracking im unsure how true this is?.

I wonderd what intake temps other people were seing, either with your sidemount intercooler or chargecooler, or as my self a boot mounted intercooler.

I am currently seing intake temps around the 38deg to 45deg on a run, but when in trafic on a hot day im seing 55deg sometime 65deg just wonderd if this was normal or....?

Thanks Gav

block cracking due to inlet temps...err no..

i get 8 degrees above ambient (ambient 25degrees, inlet 33degrees) with an XS power intercooler and a WI system and that was the maximum temp we saw over a 2 hour balls out mapping session

65 degrees is too high IMO
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

ALL depends on where its mounted....

i run a sidemount, and generally get 10-12 above ambiant roughly on cruise, another 5-10c when on boost.....

mat sensor in stock location, powerFC, PP intercooler

so (this time of year) i see low 30s, then creaps up to high 30s on boost, this however is with a stock sensor, 1.4bar of boost.....

im the person your refering to thats fitted a more responsive sensor, believe me it wont feel you with confidence if your seeing high temps with a stock sensor, youll see 'more' on boost with the other sensor as its quicker to respond....!
with the new senser i see temps going into the 40s to high 40s on boost now, which is a truer reflection of the temps compared to a slow responding stock sensor.
but cruise it will drop down much quicker than the stock sensor....

for folks placing before the TB, or in the boot near there boot IC, id expect not much above ambiant, and only a small increase on boost....
this position has a constant air supply unlike the stock position.

the sensor wont be picking up the high ambiant temps in the manifold, hense the lesser temps.

whether or not folks should be tuning to temps before the TB, or after (in the manifold), is up for debate, the orginal sensor after all is called a MANIFOLD Air Temp sensor.
you will likely see different temps from those locations due to heatsoak when the thorttle is closed/barely open, plus on boost its attached to an ever temp increasing manifold.

be interesting to see a before TB and oem sensor reading at the same time.
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

thanks everyone for you response its a great help to see what others are seing with diffrent setups, anyone who hasnt posted the intake temps pop them up with the rest, i wouldnt mind seing how some of the chargecoolers compair.

3S Service Centre wrote:where is the sensor that gives you those figures???
James

im getting them from the hand commander via the stock position oem MAT sensor james, whys that?

Steve Horrocks wrote:Gav, i'm simply using the 2 side vents routing to the boot with a blanking panel where stock IC used to be, then floor cut out under the IC in boot. I've alogot 2 11" Spal fans blowing through the IC.
Holds 38-42° on a 1.9bar pull.

Im running the exsact same setup as you steve, what exhaust are you running? does it sweap around the underside of the core or under it, and single or dual?

T.F.S. wrote:
GTS GAV wrote:i have read some were on here that keeping the intake temps to around 40deg to 45 deg max is a must to help prevent the block from cracking im unsure how true this is?.

Thanks Gav

block cracking due to inlet temps...err no..

Inatake temps to high = det/knock/pre ignition = block to cracking..... so yes
:thumleft:

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

jimGTS wrote:ALL depends on where its mounted....

i run a sidemount, and generally get 10-12 above ambiant roughly on cruise, another 5-10c when on boost.....

so (this time of year) i see low 30s, then creaps up to high 30s on boost, this however is with a stock sensor, 1.4bar of boost.....

im the person your refering to thats fitted a more responsive sensor, believe me it wont feel you with confidence if your seeing high temps with a stock sensor, youll see 'more' on boost with the other sensor as its quicker to respond....!
with the new senser i see temps going into the 40s to high 40s on boost now, which is a truer reflection of the temps compared to a slow responding stock sensor.

for folks placing before the TB, or in the boot near there boot IC, id expect not much above ambiant, and only a small increase on boost....

the sensor wont be picking up the high ambiant temps in the manifold, hense the lesser temps.

whether or not folks should be tuning to temps before the TB, or after (in the manifold), is up for debate, the orginal sensor after all is called a MANIFOLD Air Temp sensor.
you will likely see different temps from those locations due to heatsoak when the thorttle is closed/barely open, plus on boost its attached to an ever temp increasing manifold.

So it was jim very good bit of info and write up you did there dude :thumleft:

So when you fitted your uprated MAT sensor you saw that the stock sensor was slightly under estermating the actual temp? i was hoping my stock sensor was over estermating if anything, did you stick with the aftermarket sensor or did you fit the stock sensor back in?

I tried the link to them via ebay but it no longer works, could you post me a link of the sensor you bought please dude

thanks gav

GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

JJ wrote:Normal temps and critisisms of the temp prob ! Generally, a cruising speed will bring it back down to 38 degrees circa !!

Hi intake temps don't crack blocks, it's the detonation or poor tuning ! Although blocks can crack from high boosting too !!

How you getting the cold air into the boot space ?!

Im running the exsact same setup as steve dude

using the 2 side vents routing to the boot with a blanking panel where stock IC used to be, then floor cut out under the IC in boot. I've alogot 2 11" Spal fans blowing through the IC.

one thing i thort id mention is when i drove the car sat in the morning i took note of the intake temps etc for when i take the lagging of to see how it compairs, while i was tinkering i thort i would fit my two carbon vent ducts to help grab a bit more air, boy did they make a diffrent to the intake temps especialy on a bypass run they dropped at least 6deg if not more, very impressed with them and deffantly are a very good by for the BMIC owners who are using the side vents to pull air into the boot, and they look rather tasty aswell :mrgreen:
Last edited by GTS GAV on Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardHore

Post by CardHore »

im running a greddy intercooler on my rev 2 with pfc setup and i see temps as low as 18 degrees at this time of year, on warmer days around now it sits at 23. real good for an SMIC and shroud, standard fan though too!
GTS GAV

Post by GTS GAV »

They are very very good figures dude super cool, the greddy cores do seem to work very well instock location, im gathering this is a stock CT turbo and standard boost.... or?

thanks for posting up :thumleft:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

GTS GAV wrote:
jimGTS wrote:ALL depends on where its mounted....

So it was jim very good bit of info and write up you did there dude :thumleft:

So when you fitted your uprated MAT sensor you saw that the stock sensor was slightly under estermating the actual temp? i was hoping my stock sensor was over estermating if anything, did you stick with the aftermarket sensor or did you fit the stock sensor back in?

I tried the link to them via ebay but it no longer works, could you post me a link of the sensor you bought please dude

thanks gav

i would say theres nothing wrong temp wise with the oem sensor, its just slow....ive no dout the new and oem sensor read the correct and same temp of air if it were to rise and fall slowly, its just the sudden change in temps on a turboed car the new one responds and picks up faster.

when you got a fast revving turbo, where running through a gear takes no time at all, its hard to judge just what temps your actually getting...
for example, stock sensor if i was starting out at 35c, and redlined in 3rd, id prob get up to 40-42c on the commander. with the new sensor it would climb up to 47-49c....it updates on the commander in a fraction of a second, whereas the stock sensor would slowly creep up temp wise and basically not really show i guess, real world temps...thats what i found anyway.
if anything its a little disheartening seeing higher temps on boost with the new sensor, lol

i havent yet gone back to stock, but i may just to test a few more things.

just type RAIT sensor in ebay, you should find it.
CardHore

Post by CardHore »

Gav, figures are from the commander... Im running CT20 with rev 3 fuelling. Im running 1.2bar boost, creeping well over that in colder weather. Ryan at 2bar was most impressed when my temps were literally half what my friend rev3 was with a charge cooler on the day of getting ours mapped. im running just shy of 300bhp on the rollers, much more on the road though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”