[Mk2] [Turbo] ALTERNATOR DIFFERENCES

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

vinnyl

[Mk2] [Turbo] ALTERNATOR DIFFERENCES

Post by vinnyl »

Been told by garage the alternator i need for my 2 is the larger type one and its larger then the celica one does this make any sense to anyone :mad:
Steve-O 2007

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ALTERNATOR DIFFERENCES

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

check the alternator and it will have a code on it, just use that when ordering and you will get the exact one.
paul port

Post by paul port »

Larger than Celica would make sense as if you have a Rev2+ then you have Electro Hydraulic power steering - the Celica does not...

I have no actual idea if the MR2 one is larger though!
vinnyl

Post by vinnyl »

Now just to find someone to supply and fit one :roll:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Theres a Alternator company on Ebay I use that are excellent - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0413388541

Then just fit it yourself, not that hard realy only a few bolts, get a new alternator belt at the same time
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

turbos and autos tend to use the larger ones and manual na's the smaller one, round plug or oval is not specific to either and can be any
fearless

Post by fearless »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Theres a Alternator company on Ebay I use that are excellent - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0413388541

Then just fit it yourself, not that hard realy only a few bolts, get a new alternator belt at the same time

these people are very helpfull but couldnt help me i sadly i had a very weird alternator on my car, one thay never new existed which was very worrying at the time but i found a new one at the cost of £150 sadly motor parts direct good for parts actually came up trumps for me twice now,

wasnt going to buy a secondhand one as heard so many horror storys of fittting and then packing up a few months down the line, it took me a couple of hours to do mine on ramps pain in the ar$e is dropping exhaust as has to come out the bottom of car and you have to get alternator in a certain position to get past engine which is a pain,

i had to fit new belt as mine seized and broke the belt but refitting took about 45 mins a lot more easier when you know how but saved the money on labour bad enough having to pay £150 for the part let alone coughing up a further £60-£70 having it fitted. has done the job nicely though ever since just watch oil leaks and water going on it which causes the damage im told. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
she's all comming together nicely now after a fair bit of cash spent, not bad for just an n/a now for some body kit i think.

Return to “Mechanical”