[Mk2] [Turbo] Best EMS / ECU for 350BHP???

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingfu

[Mk2] [Turbo] Best EMS / ECU for 350BHP???

Post by kingfu »

I know there are several threads asking similar things to this already, but it seems as though there is plenty of information on the range of upgraded turbos available, but no definitive list of the best value EMS to run this extra power with. A decent write up on the varoius EMS units needs a sticky!

In my situation, I have a rev1 withe T3/T4 turbo, 800cc injectors, upgraded fuel rail, walbro pump, upgraded IC and pipework, ss exhaust (3" i think). Now I need an ECU that can correctly fuel this (without breaking the bank!)
I have heard the link G4 storm/extreme, Hydra Nemesis and AEM EMS are recommended (and not cheap), but have also heard that piggyback units like the GReddy E-manage are used a fair amount. Problem is, I have not heard from many people with them actually fitted.
What ECUs are people running with what upgrades? What problems have there been with different ECUs? I would like to hear any feedback or information on what would be the best bang for buck in my car - I want to see 300bhp minimum, 350bhp would be nice!

Thanks!

Oh, 400bhp would be awesome, but lets not be greedy....
I do not know if I am still running stock internals and would like at least a years use out of it before she blows, so (reasonably) reliable is what I am after.
platmatt8

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Best EMS / ECU for 350BHP???

Post by platmatt8 »

Hydra... :thumleft:

So many option with this ecu, looked into it myslef but need a re spray 1st.

Then it`s NEMESIS TIME :twisted:
RST

Post by RST »

Personally I'd look at where you are in the country?

You can choose a great ECU -but nobody's mapped it and vice-versa. I'd get in touch with where you think you want it mapped first and take it from there. Unless of course location isn't important.

You won't get a difinitive ECU upgrade with power gains list simply because every car is different and every owner wants different things. There is no "BEST value ECU" because evreyone has different values / wants on an ECU to start with. Dyno / mapping time makes up for a huge cost anyway.
bolton

Post by bolton »

power fc!
Old but proved time and time again!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

I ran around 350 on my old set-up with a power fc (on standard internals, 800cc injectors).

Im stilling running the power fc now and im pushing over 400 (with forged pistons).

HTH
uglee

Post by uglee »

The 3S-GTE is an old engine so no need to run an EMS that has more capabilities than the engine has. Either PowerFC or what about the new Link Atom?

Ryan @2Bar tuning is the man to talk to.
Madmattyturner

Post by Madmattyturner »

platmatt8 wrote:Hydra... :thumleft:

So many option with this ecu, looked into it myslef but need a re spray 1st.

Then it`s NEMESIS TIME :twisted:

Yup.... couldnt agree more... i run a hyrda... its the business... all the bangs and whistles... not a lot better out there at the moment!!
kingfu

Post by kingfu »

Thanks for the comments.

I know what you are saying RST. I have an HKS F-CON SZ sitting here from a rev 3 turbo, but can I find anybody to set it up on my rev1??? Hell no! I am in Essex and have only managed to find two local tuning places - AMD and redline racing, so any feedback I can get on these 2 places would be appreciated!

I thought the power fc was a piggyback so would sruggle over 300 BHP? But still, if it is capable of 350-400 bhp (wow!) that seems like the cheapest way forward so far! I will investigate...

The link atom does look like a very nice piece of hardware for the money, but it still is a lot of money when you factor in fitting and tuning. If I were a rich man I wouldnt hesitate!

A second hand unit would be favourite at the moment - tried, tested and cheap. Any other drivers out there with experience of aftermarket ECUs?
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

uglee wrote:The 3S-GTE is an old engine so no need to run an EMS that has more capabilities than the engine has.

Thats not really a fair statement. The 3sgte is a 4 banger DOHC engine which is still just like most 4 piston two stroke engines that are made today. A Newer & Better EMS would actually be suited well to an older engine as you will have more tuning flexibility and control enabling you to work around 'old age' manufacturing discrepancies and defects.
uglee

Post by uglee »

Not denying that but it's a 20+ year old design and there is only so much you can do with the existing ignition setup. For his power aims it would be silly to spend excessive amounts on a Motec or Link Extreme when there are much cheaper options that provide exactly what he is wanting :thumleft:
kingfu

Post by kingfu »

These are exactly the sort of arguments I was looking for.

Hopefully I now have something sorted. A used linkplus G1 has been offered which was mapped to a very similar set up to my own. Sounds good (if I can get the cash together quick enough), as I can fit it and drive, worry about fine tuning later!

Keep up the debate!
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

The power fc is a stand alone ecu mate.

I would say depending on how much u want 2 spend would decided 4 you really. If money was not a problem I would get the best who wouldn't.

I cannot really fault the power fc really, the only problem is if you get knock /det is does not retard the ign so bye bye engine!!! Other ecu's do this but cost loads more!!!!

But if it's mapped well it shouldn't det anyway really. I'm always extra safe on track or 1/4 runs and pull a degree or2 on timing :-)
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

Power FC, everytime.

Ryan G rates them above Link for reliability, and who the f*ck am I to argue with him about mapping :shock:

Not as much fine tuning available as on high-end ECUs but for a basic, safe map with good power, you can't go wrong.

/edit: and I'm running a very similar setup to yours, and rolling roaded at 350bhp with plenty of timing to spare.
kingfu

Post by kingfu »

I have had a quick look and found a power fc on ebay for £250 with commander (which I assume is needed). Are all power fc the same or are there different variations as this sounds a bargain?

Is tuning/ rolling road likely to cast the same as for a standalone ecu (£275/£350)?
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

that sounds too cheap for an MR2 power FC. Are you sure its for this car?

expect to pay about £600 for a Power FC with commander.
kingfu

Post by kingfu »

Not sure what car it was for. I thought it wouldnt matter as it would need to be mapped or are they vehicle specific?
wadeski

Post by wadeski »

they are vehicle specific, and i think rev1/2 are different to rev3+ as well?
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

I have a brand new power fc for sale
Commander isn't required, it's mainly a visual aid, not needed to map or anything.

As said it's a full standalone, not a piggyback, but will require a bit of work to fit to a rev1/2. Rev3+ it's a straight bolt on.
Fitting to rev1/2 requires a few sensor changes and slight repinning of your harness.

Tho this is likely to be the case for any other ecu you have planned.

Also as said, PFC for the mr2 are in the 550-800 area (used and new).
kingfu

Post by kingfu »

Thanks jimGTS,
Sounds like a good offer but I have already found a link G1 which I am going to buy as it sounds ideal for my needs. If anything falls through with this deal then I may well get back to you at a later date.

Cheers.
kgx

Post by kgx »

for such a modest power goal, the OEM gen3 3SGT ECU would be the best value, and it's already tuned. 350whp is possible on the gen3 ECU as well. a friend has a gen3 motor/ECU in his celica with just turbo/intercooler and he's putting 355whp down. his lambda values are just peachy, running 15psi.

there also exists the possibility of retrofitting a mappable ECU from another make of car. i'm running a honda ECU on my MR2 and i have just as much tunability as any aftermarket ECU, and my engine management cost less than $300.

it's all in how innovative you want to get to solve the problem.

Return to “Modifications”